Does anyone not believe in 0w-20?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My Imp specs 0w-20 oil (it says conventional is OK but there is no conv 0w-20 I believe), I've always just run whatever good quality 0w-20 is available every 5000 miles. Don't have time or money to do UOA so I figured in warranty might as well do 5000 (max allowed 7500 during powertrain warranty) to keep in line better with the other services that I can't perform myself. I've recently been thinking about things like 5w-20 and maybe even 5w-30.

Reason is, I've read that marketing and lawyers probably have more of a say in what oil to run than engineers do most of the time. Also that 0w-20 seems to be pushed in cars touted as fuel efficient to try to squeeze out every last drop of mpg they can get.

Once I get out of the powertrain warranty, how likekly/unlikely is it to cause problems if I run 5w-20 instead? 5w-30 might be a little thick I think, unless I happen to live in death valley.

Last edited:
From everything I've read and I have no proof of this. 0w20 usually is a better quality oil. Made with better base stocks etc. They say that 5w and 0w in normal temperatures are about the same, it's when you get super cold that 0w takes the advantage. I would stick with 0w20. You've been running it no issues and it won't cause any issues... neither would switching to 5w20 or 30 either though

Originally Posted By: 02s4audi
From everything I've read and I have no proof of this. 0w20 usually is a better quality oil. Made with better base stocks etc. They say that 5w and 0w in normal temperatures are about the same, it's when you get super cold that 0w takes the advantage. I would stick with 0w20. You've been running it no issues and it won't cause any issues... neither would switching to 5w20 or 30 either though

I wouldn't say no issues. I've had twice now in the last year or so where a quart of oil has randomly disappeared from my car in less than a week. I check it on say Sunday and it's just below the full line or at. Then by Thursday the low oil light comes on and somehow a quart has vanished despite no leak and no smokey exhaust. No idea where it's going, but if it's somehow slipping into the cylinders, thicker oil could help prevent that...

Originally Posted By: horse123

I wouldn't say no issues. I've had twice now in the last year or so where a quart of oil has randomly disappeared from my car in less than a week. I check it on say Sunday and it's just below the full line or at. Then by Thursday the low oil light comes on and somehow a quart has vanished despite no leak and no smokey exhaust.

If a quart of oil is getting burned in just 4 days it would be pretty obvious.

A thicker oil can slow down the leak, but I don't believe a 30 weight will have that much effect over a 20.

Last edited:

I wouldn't say no issues. I've had twice now in the last year or so where a quart of oil has randomly disappeared from my car in less than a week. I check it on say Sunday and it's just below the full line or at. Then by Thursday the low oil light comes on and somehow a quart has vanished despite no leak and no smokey exhaust. No idea where it's going, but if it's somehow slipping into the cylinders, thicker oil could help prevent that...

I believe your 2012 is the first year of the new (revised) Imprezza with the improved MPG's. I also believe it uses 'low tension' rings in the new engine as a means of achieving this improvement. I also believe there is a class action lawsuit against Subaru for oil usage in their latest vehicles.

If I were out of warranty, I would try 5w20 or even 5w30 to see if it helps with the oil usage.

Go to Mobil oil website. "Find the right oil", and it reads:

"Your vehicle manufacturer recommends a 0W-20 viscosity and synthetic oil. A 0W-30 viscosity can also be used."

Originally Posted By: pbm

I believe your 2012 is the first year of the new (revised) Imprezza with the improved MPG's. I also believe it uses 'low tension' rings in the new engine as a means of achieving this improvement. I also believe there is a class action lawsuit against Subaru for oil usage in their latest vehicles.

If I were out of warranty, I would try 5w20 or even 5w30 to see if it helps with the oil usage.

The thing is I get 0 oil usage up to like 3500 miles in, but the last year this has happened twice where it suddenly used a massive amount of oil in no seconds flat. Then after I refill it, it doesn't use any oil again.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Trav
I don't use xw20 in anything, to me its all door hinge lube oil. Since when did 5w30 become thick oil?

x2

Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
Curious what stake lawyers and marketing people have in oil selection.

My doctor has more of a stake in which lawn seed is recommended....

I couldn't have said it better, in fact, when I look at thos manufacturer's websites I often wonder, why in the world they even bother putting them out there. I mean all they do is parrot the manufacturers info, so why bother. It's hard to get any real solid data on what weight of oil is best for a particular vehicle. There is so much advertising hype, CAFE intervention, and backyard mechanic (not a derrogatory term at all) info floating around it hard to decifer it. There is some anecdotal data that says that many millions of miles of xw20 use has not blown up engines, so I guess that's what we should be relying on. I'm the same as most people, I just have a hard time shaking the "old school" knowledge, that normal 30W oil is probably the best, has been for years. Is it true? probably not, just look at what's on the road. I know teenagers who drive cars with over 100K miles on them, NEVER even thinking about changing the oil, (heck, I saw one the other day, that the oil filter had rusted so bad, it was leaking!!!), and I know that a lot of engines would run on clear water, evidently. Then there's people like us who put a lot of thought into oil and I know in my case, if one of my cars has anywhere near 100K, I start having problems, so what's a fellow to do?
I'm still playing with the idea of using xw30 in all my cars, which are fairly new, but currently my Altima and Tacoma have 5w20 in them, so I'm still on the fence. The truth is, it just probably doesn't matter at all.

Oh, and as a footnote, have you ever read a Toyota owner's manual? My Tacoma recommends 0w20 for the best gas mileage and protection, is the most preferred, 5w20 acceptable, and then it states, and this is not an exact quote but the gist is, ... a thicker oil may be indicated if your driving consists of towing or high loads or high speeds. How's that for ambiguous. From that you could, and many have, conclude that they're saying 20w oils are for gas mileage, and heavier oil is for protection, just what we've known all along!!

Last edited:
540RAT doesn't believe in 0w-20.

I'd use a 0w-20 if the mfg called for it from the first year that engine was in production. I'm not into back speccing. And I'd also require that it be a stout 20 grade that overlapped into the weak 30 grade region.

Originally Posted By: pbm

Subaru's issue is a mechanical problem with the rings has nothing to do with 0w20

Originally Posted By: 69GTX

I'd use a 0w-20 if the mfg called for it from the first year that engine was in production. I'm not into back spec'ing. And I'd also require that it be a stout 20 grade that overlapped into the weak 30 grade region.

X2

First I'd look at the world spec for the motor. If it's 0W-xx everywhere, that would be a help. Then, depending on where I lived (average high temp summer...), I'd pick the operating temp weight that I was most comfortable with and met conditions like towing, or short tripping.

Then, I'd be looking within that spec for oils with higher HTHS or overlap with their thicker cousins up the line as far as weight. There is a lot of overlap that can be used to advantage here
smile.gif

And, just for reference, there is not a single car or truck in my driveway that specs 20 for anything. So although I believe they exist, they do not work for me so I don't have any...

Last edited:
My truck is spec'd for 5w20. I run 5w20. Sometimes 0w20 in the winter, sometimes not. Either way it uses about 1-2qts over a 8,000-10,000 miles OCI.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back