Linux Mint 17.3 update errors

Status
Not open for further replies.

dishdude

$100 Site Donor 2023
For several weeks I have been receiving update errors with my Mint machine. Looking at the error, it appears to have something to do with Chrome which I uninstalled. How can I get rid of this?

How did you go about uninstalling Chrome? It still appears to be looking for a Chrome key.

In any case, try one of these two from the command line:

Code:
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

or

Code:
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade

Whichever you prefer and why is a matter for a whole other thread. Use the latter one if you're unsure. I use the former. In any case, do that, and let us know what happens.

Chrome is no longer supported on 32-bit linux; if you installed it once your /etc/apt/sources.list might have a pointer to repositories that "once held" the 32-bit chrome.

Post the contents of /etc/apt/sources.list

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Garak
How did you go about uninstalling Chrome? It still appears to be looking for a Chrome key.

In any case, try one of these two from the command line:

Code:
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

or

Code:
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade

Whichever you prefer and why is a matter for a whole other thread. Use the latter one if you're unsure. I use the former. In any case, do that, and let us know what happens.

iirc, I right clicked on Chrome in the application menu and selected uninstall. Since I am a novice user of Linux, I went with your latter command.

Oops, checking, Mint does it a bit different than Ubuntu, so when I checked my list, similarly to what you did but looking at the file, that's no soap.

Look here for the solution. It's fairly easy, just different than what I had in mind.

FYI: dishdude posted the directory /etc/apt/sources.list.d, not /etc/apt/sources.list, a file;

However, as Garak pointed out, it appears a bit different than I realized. Restoring the default repos via the GUI appears the way to go

Thanks, guys.

I was able to go in and just delete Chrome from the additional repositories folder and I am no longer receiving the error. I did notice something odd, I replaced Chrome with Chromium and I didn't see Chromium listed in the repo. How is it pulling updates?

What you did was basically what the GUI probably would have done by yanking that. In Ubuntu, we would have given you the line to yank from a file.

How did you install Chromium? If you did it through the GUI or apt, you'll be fine. If you did a .deb package or something, that could sink you for updates.

Originally Posted By: dishdude
Thanks, guys.

I was able to go in and just delete Chrome from the additional repositories folder and I am no longer receiving the error. I did notice something odd, I replaced Chrome with Chromium and I didn't see Chromium listed in the repo. How is it pulling updates?

Chromium is included with your distribution maker. They are the ones who own and maintain it. It is part of the package you installed instead of a 3rd party addon package like Chrome.

Well a Chromium update came through and no more update errors. I'd say all is good!

Well a Chromium update came through and no more update errors. I'd say all is good!

Chromium is not coming from the same place as Chrome, though.

Google (supplying you with Chrome) has been a little lax in getting up to speed with their repositories and Debian/ Ubuntu/ Mint and derivatives have had package managers complaining about them quite a bit lately; spitting out errors ranging from the inconvenient to the show-stopping.

Chromium is (compiled from open source code and) supplied directly by your distribution and therefore has the exact same parameters as all of the other software directly from your distribution.

Glad to hear it. On another note, when I was checking through the sources list to find out that you'd have to do it the "weird" way, I also found that someone smartened up and didn't make the GPG temporary directory root only and louse everything up. So, someone paid attention to my grousing, or came across the error themselves.

Originally Posted By: uc50ic4more
Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
https://chromium.googlesource.com/chromium/src/+/master/docs/chromium_browser_vs_google_chrome.md

Chrome loaded from the google download has better multimedia support OOTB

Up and above Chromium, Chrome supports (a baked-in) Flash player and PDF renderer. These can both be installed separately for Chromium trivially. Multimedia support beyond Flash would be dependent on various codecs and plugins and players present in your OS installation.

You will get a far wider range of hardware acceleration working with chrome than you will with chromium.

Originally Posted By: badtlc
Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
https://chromium.googlesource.com/chromium/src/+/master/docs/chromium_browser_vs_google_chrome.md

Chrome loaded from the google download has better multimedia support OOTB

Up and above Chromium, Chrome supports (a baked-in) Flash player and PDF renderer. These can both be installed separately for Chromium trivially. Multimedia support beyond Flash would be dependent on various codecs and plugins and players present in your OS installation.

You will get a far wider range of hardware acceleration working with chrome than you will with chromium.

Isn't that more dependent on whether or not you have proprietary drivers active? I've never understood Chromium to be lacking in acceleration capabilities; but perhaps some distros compile it without?

Isn't that more dependent on whether or not you have proprietary drivers active? I've never understood Chromium to be lacking in acceleration capabilities; but perhaps some distros compile it without?

It has more to do with the plugins and chrome's plugins are better implemented since they are providing the plugins with all their code.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back