Way too clean intake manifold without removing it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had to change the intake manifold gasket on my Corolla. It took me 25 minutes. With 15 minute devoted to cleaning the intake manifold. It had a lot of carbony build up on it. Didn't notice it running any better after I cleaned it, though. I wouldn't try to use some chemicals to clean it. I'd pull it and clean it out of place.

Car is running fine. Its something i had forgotten about. MY last car, was a 95 neon. Had maybe 50,000 miles on it, bought 2nd hand back in 2000. One day, i removed the egr tube, and low and behold it was packed,....PACKED solid with black off brown mudd looking stuff. The car ran fine, but reading about it, on the neons forum, and a day off, i got adventurous and glad i did. Removed the tube, used berrymans b 12 i belive too clean it out, so nothing but metal showed, rebolted it. I remember the throttle body, was coated thick carpet black, especially under the throttle body. It had to be scraped off. Came off like it was tiny sheets of lawn with dirt...
the point n moral of this, the car now, the coolla, has never had the throttle body cleaned nor egr tube removed and cleaned out. Ive read good preventaive maintenance, is to clean it out, intake manifold as well, like every 10-15,000 miles. The car is now on 84,000 miles and 18 years old.

so! rather than go through removing the intake maifold, idelike a qucker wayof doing this, cleaning the intake tubes out. so far, amsoil powerfoam i see, but dont have that here,. do have seafoam, and the supertech version. im thinking, start car, rev it via throttle body, and slowly let the throttle suck seafoam in. having the air duct not attched of course.
but i wonder, would this method clean 100%,or would removing the intake and pouring seafoam in it or using oxygen torch?

The car runs fine, as ive learned with the neon, never know what youll find, even if the engine appears too look and sound healthy. but looking inside, might be something completely different..

Originally Posted By: ziggy
or using oxygen torch?

So earlier on you meant using oxy-propane? People cut steel with that, y'know?

Your intake manifold is probably aluminium, with some fairly fragile gizmo's in and around it.

Even being VERY careful it doesn't seem remotely worth the risk.

If you want to live just a bit dangerously you could try brake fluid. Seemed to work OK on my carb.

But your best options are either to take it apart or leave it alone.

Last edited:
Yeah from what ive gathered, im gunna dismantle it and clean it by hand, with seafoam or carb cleaner. Dosnt look difficult. I will prob need a new gasket though. Get one form autozone. Though ive learned with gaskets, at least with the CAT, OEM was the best fit and last longer.

Yeah, i plan on using berryman b 12. Last year, i worked at a gas station, and a little involved in mechanics, though i know alot. Customer bought his snowblower in a toro i think it was. It would choke out after starting. We replaced its fuel filter, still choked out. Took apart the carb...it was packed full, PACKED i tell you, with brown caked on deposits. the mechanic siad this is what happens, when you use the cheapest low grade fuel. Dosnt understand why people do that. its like saying he used citgo instead of exxon, or mobil, or shell. But he didnt know how too get off without hours of scrapping it out.
I had used berryman a number of times too clean up gunk after oil changes and too clean the egr tube on my old neon. thats differnt crud of course. gunk oil isnt as hard or baked on as deposits from this guys fuel, for example. so! gave him a bottle of berryman b 12 i had, he was amazed. the crud after 4 minutes melted, flaked, came right off. the carb was showroom condition, and im not making that up!

I wish thier was something easy, you could just spray into throttble body, or port at the intake manifold. But in reality, i guess thier isnt. The valves never come into contact with fuel basically. they just open and close, as the injecotrs on todays modern cars, are placed below the valves. hence, what ive learned, the only real way too clean them up and out...removal of the manifold. In my case, chilton book, says too remove the upper radiator hose, which means draining it. Its a timely process for all this. a day off thing.
Spraying seafoam, berryman, whatever even through the pcv valve might do some cleaning, if cleaned like every 10,000 miles, ide imagine. Ive never done that on this car, 98 corolla. 84,000 miles now, and it did have oil burning problems, like half a quart, to 75% a quart in 1,500-1,700 miles. it only burns less than half a quarter a waurt now by 4,000 miles. so i can only imgaine what the intake must look like.
im running seafoam in new oil right now. maintenance. do 4,200 mile oil changes, because at that mileage, which i average 6 months, the oil has turned thickish n black. menaing also the filter is full. put 7 ozs for 4 quarts.

I don't think you need to do anything you're planning to do. Put some Techron concentrate in your fuel tank and wipe the throttle body clean.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back