Corvette R Wins Sebring running M1 0w50

Status
Not open for further replies.
"Congrats to Corvette Racing on another win at the historic Mobil 1 Twelve Hours of Sebring running Mobil 1 Racing 0W-50"

Out of curiosity why would they need 0W oil in racing?

My guess is that the high VI 0w-50 has the benefit of being much closer to the ideal viscosity right out of the gate, which would be important if the oil is not pre-heated and there is a tremendous volume of it to be heated (by the engine) which may take a while.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
My guess is that the high VI 0w-50 has the benefit of being much closer to the ideal viscosity right out of the gate, which would be important if the oil is not pre-heated and there is a tremendous volume of it to be heated (by the engine) which may take a while.

Per Dan Bink's book, all the fluids were preheated anytime the car was going on track.

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal

Per Dan Bink's book, all the fluids were preheated anytime the car was going on track.

Since I don't have the book, any idea as to what temp?

Purposefully vague. They did mention having tire blankets would have been perfect as everything would have been warm except the brakes.

Purposefully vague. They did mention having tire blankets would have been perfect as everything would have been warm except the brakes.

Gotcha. Well, if it isn't like full operating temp then I imagine the higher VI 0w-50 may still provide some benefit then
smile.gif

Gotcha. Well, if it isn't like full operating temp then I imagine the higher VI 0w-50 may still provide some benefit then
smile.gif

That and getting cases of it at no charge.

smile.gif

thumbsup2.gif

Regardless of that AND it being a 0W, it IS a very stout and substantial oil.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: buster
They run heavier grades for endurance racing to offset fuel dilution. The 50 grade was probably a 30 grade after the race lol. running M1 5w30 would be a mistake IMO.

However Johnny reported several years ago that he saw some American LaMans engines at Daytona using off the shelf M1 5-30 with success.

My understanding of that oil is that they get the "0W" by accident as a result of the superior ingredients that they use for the high VI.

HTHS of 3.8 makes the whole concept of it being a "50" look a bit iffy.

Originally Posted By: Canadastang
Does that mean that if the driver had All-Bran for breakfast that they won the race running on All-Bran?

Not at Sebring. It's so rough that the driver's couldn't stay in for their full stints if they ate All-Bran for breakfast.

We used to heat the 1970's CanAm car fluids to 200dF and pump it through the block until it was well over 150dF before letting the engine start.

Originally Posted By: tig1
Originally Posted By: buster
They run heavier grades for endurance racing to offset fuel dilution. The 50 grade was probably a 30 grade after the race lol. running M1 5w30 would be a mistake IMO.

However Johnny reported several years ago that he saw some American LaMans engines at Daytona using off the shelf M1 5-30 with success.
How many gallons did the dry sump setup hold?

The ideal viscosity will be dependent on the bearing clearances in the engine and intended use of the engine. You will take the advice of the company building the engine, advice of your lubricant supplier, and past experience in making the decision.

Back in the days of qualifying specific engines, you would only run a 0W or 10W in the engine because it was only intended to run minimal laps. The 50W oil makes a lot of sense for an endurance application especially on a LS based engine. For something like NASCAR qualifying where you tape up the front of the car, you would also run the least amount of coolant necessary. Something also done in NASCAR especially in plate track qualifying is to take the belts off the engine. You don't need an alternator to run 2 laps, same with a water pump or power steering. The drivers will shut it off as soon as they cross the line and coast around without touching the brakes.

Originally Posted By: Mitch Alsup
We used to heat the 1970's CanAm car fluids to 200dF and pump it through the block until it was well over 150dF before letting the engine start.

What was that, a Hilborn injected, dry-sumped big block with 13:1 compression?
eek.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back