M1 EP, PP, valvoline, or RP? 04 civic ex

Status
Not open for further replies.
2004 civic ex, driven hard, 130k miles. Wondering what oil in these 4 would be best? And for what reason? These 4 are on sale at my local autozone where I have a $20 rewards Balance on my card. So these are my options. All full synthetic either 0w20 or 5w20. Also they have high mileage oil as well should I consider this?

I'd prolly go PP and a good filter and be happy. I dunno if you can fit an oversized filter, but if it will go, I'd install one. A bit more capacity is always nice.

At 130,000 - if it was any car but a Honda - I'd prolly move up to 5W-30 for a bit more viscosity at temp if you are winding it a lot ...

Never been an RP fan. All the Mobil1 attempts I have tried have been no better that using Rotella T6...

And there are variants of "valvoline" So w/o a bit more info, I would not recommend. I like Valvoline oils and run them. Just depends on which one... For instance, VR-1 is absolutely top notch stuff for flat tappet motors - you don't have one
laugh.gif

My F22C in S2000 is very noisy with any oil, dino or syn, PP or M1 or Maxlife ... most of the time. But on some sunny afternoon and above 70F it was fairly quiet at 4.5-5k or below.

Broc I was talking about the full synthetic synpower or high mileage synthetic for valvoline. Nick, I'd like to run it for a while. I don't really care and will change it as often or not as needed and Mr nice is it really noticebale?

The 0W M1 oils have a higher quality basestock blend.
Can you get either M1 0W-20 AFE or EP for the same $$?
If you can, that'd be my pick.
After that, PP.

Supertech 5W-30 and Fram TG7317. Honda engines are not particularly rough on oil. Just be sure to change every 5000-7500 miles and mind your oil levels if it's a burner.

Originally Posted By: BrocLuno
Originally Posted By: fdcg27
The 0W M1 oils have a higher quality basestock blend...

Is that provable ...

I think it is.
Compare the ccv and mrv numbers for either M1 0W-20 to those for PP, for example.
The M1 oils are much thinner at very low temperatures.

I had an '01 EX that had 108k on it when we sold it in' 09. It was fed a healthy diet of MC 5w20. Ran fine when I sold it to a co-worker, he still has it.

These engines aren't picky when it comes to oil, any name brand would serve you well.

Pick the mobile 1 or PP. You'll get a nice rebate instead of paying for purple colored valvoline with a premium.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back