Are airbag circuits too sensitive?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It seems that airbag system wiring and their components are overly sensitive; allow me to explain. In my old Miata, the glove box routinely fell out of place. Often times I would shove it back in and it would stay for a while. However, after doing this, I typically got an airbag light for the passenger side. Jiggling the wires behind the glove box typically cured the light and it never came back until I did this again.

On my Sedona, I carry a lot of kit for work. Every once in a while I have to break really hard, and this usually results in something rubbing against the back of the passenger seat. There is wiring for the airbag circuit that runs along the backside of the seat under a cloth vanity panel. I'm guessing this wiring somehow gets disturbed, because this will rarely result in an airbag light. Oddly, where these wires are placed, they could easily be kicked by passengers in the back row. Since I have no backseats, I cannot confirm whether or not this happens. In my case, when the airbag light comes on, simply jiggling the wires that run on the backside of the seat cures the problem. Is this just coincidence, or are airbag circuits intentionally finicky?

They're sensitive circuits, but they're completely unnecessary. From first hand experience, I can tell you that bending your steering wheel with your head is SIGNIFICANTLY less painful tha having your airbag break your nose and cheekbone.

Originally Posted By: Olas
They're sensitive circuits, but they're completely unnecessary. From first hand experience, I can tell you that bending your steering wheel with your head is SIGNIFICANTLY less painful tha having your airbag break your nose and cheekbone.

Perhaps you need better brakes, or a lighter pair of shoes. Because I have no experience with either of those problems, after 38 years driving. Some of it professionally.

shocked2.gif

Doesn't sound like a sensitivity problem to me. Sounds like a loose connection problem. The only things that need to be sensitive are the sensors. The rest is just wiring connected to other wiring, same as any other sensor/circuit in the car. A loose connection between an airbag and harness is no different from a loose connection between a coolant temp sensor and harness.

Sadly, I have been involved in forward collisions 3 times in my life due to one drunk driver and two careless drivers.

In similar collisions, I would have to agree. Maybe I'm just too tall to where I set my seat back kinda far, but I've never hit either steering wheel or airbag in all three cases.

My first incident was bad enough that my front end was squared to where the washer nozzles on the hood used to be, and my transmission ended up in my back seat. That car had no airbags, and I walked away with only a scratch as a result of a flying piece of plastic that flew out when the dashboard burst into pieces.

I wouldn't say they are useless. They're a great way to make sure your car is totaled after an accident. Friend of mine was in an accident, and they totaled her 2015 Toyota as a result of all 7 airbags deploying.

The old Miatas always have airbag lights come on, not uncommon at all. I have lost count of how many airbag diagnostic monitors I have sold for the NA Miatas.

Originally Posted By: 4wheeldog

Perhaps you need better brakes, or a lighter pair of shoes. Because I have no experience with either of those problems, after 38 years driving. Some of it professionally.

I bent the steering wheel when a drunk came round a blind bend on the wrong side of the road, and I met an airbag at 18, in my first car, rather...distracted...by the female passenger in the front seat.. In contrast, I haven't had a single bump in the last 14 years..

only issue I've had with sensitive systems is the volvo. I since bought a handheld scanner to reset the system.

disconnect the hvac during radio install? airbag light

supposedly, if one removes the + batt cable instead of the -, that will set the light too.

-m

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back