Best 0w/5w 20 oil for 04 civic ex?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've read these cars are easy on oil but I do tend to drive like a maniac and I do live in upstate NY. It currently has 130k on it. I had a head gasket issue recently and changed the oil after that was fixe and now I want to change it out again to make sure there's no contamination. What oil do you guys recommend? Im going to run a fram ultra unless there's a reason not too. I was thinking of doing m1 ep and trying it at the 15,000 mile claim. Not sure if there would be a better choice or not? Read some good stuff about tgmo as well. Let me know what you guys think.

M1 0-20 AFE or EP is a great oil if your engine is spec'd for a 20wt. I have used AFE for several years with both engines remaining very clean, no oil consumption, or signs of engine wear.

I get its not a high performance car by any means. But it does get run hard. My main question was basically if there is a 0w or 520 20 on the shelf that is better than the rest or which ones seem to be the best.

Have you looked into oils like amsoil or redline? These are supposed to be the best. Me personally i like synthetics that are on sale. I just got a bunch of napa synthetic for $3 a bottle. Also i agree with the poster saying to run 5w30. Then you can get dexos oil and not be complying to the cafe standards

Edit

Apparently there are 5w20 oils that are dexos1. Doesn't change my opinion about it though

Last edited:
This month, I'd get Napa Synthetic because it's on sale this month for $2.99 a quart. It's rebranded Synpower
smile.gif

Granted I'm sure napa is cheap even off sale, I don't want to just run an oil cause it's on sale then switch to something else next oil change. I want to stick with 1 and price isn't an option

My next question is should I run high mileage or no? There's no consumption or leaks but it does have 130k which is over the "high mileage" 75,000 miles mark

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back