House selling

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: supton
We'll stay were we are. It isn't that much more than renting, and if we don't move it'll get real cheap once we own. We have roots here now in the area. I think if we moved out of state to chase cheaper cost of living, we'd always be scheming on how to move back to New England.

We did that for 8 years; moved down South for "cheaper" cost of living. Didn't turn out to be as much so, and we were always dreaming of "home." We sold both houses at a loss just to get back home. Ironically, my bills are less here than they were down South. Housing is a little more, but the rest of the bills are cheaper. Go figure.

Originally Posted By: Delta
We did that for 8 years; moved down South for "cheaper" cost of living. Didn't turn out to be as much so, and we were always dreaming of "home." We sold both houses at a loss just to get back home. Ironically, my bills are less here than they were down South. Housing is a little more, but the rest of the bills are cheaper. Go figure.

Delta, can you expand a bit on that? also was this also because of the "south" culture/different environment?

Thank you

What to fix and what not to fix totally depends on the neighborhood and the market where you are. Real Estate is so hot here that homes just go at high prices, often the same day they are listed no matter the condition assuming the price is right for the condition. Older homes are often purchased by builders who fix them up and flip them for twice what they paid or more. The word on the street is that spending money on fixing up is not worth it--for this location. Everyone wants to renovate when they buy and anything you do is basically a waste of your money. If you do the work yourself you may break even, but if you have to pay someone it is likely you will lose. YMMV
Quote:

I've lived a lot of places all up and down the East Coast and costs often even out between states. For example, there might be a low income tax in a state, but that often means very high sales, excise, and property taxes. Watch out when moving for big hits on reregistering cars--some states it is cheap, while other states hit new residents up for all sorts of taxes on imported vehicles. I would say that in terms of total cost of living there is some difference between south and north, but sometimes you do get what you pay for. Here in New York every tiny community has a public library and public schools are excellent for the most part. We have huge state, county, and local parks. In any case, you have to weigh total cost vs. what you get.

Last edited:
We'll stay were we are. It isn't that much more than renting, and if we don't move it'll get real cheap once we own. We have roots here now in the area. I think if we moved out of state to chase cheaper cost of living, we'd always be scheming on how to move back to New England.

then you can start by fixing what is safety-related in your house and use some insulation to get lower heating/ac bills.
i can't remember if you have a basement, but with only one bathroom, you can always build a temporary shower and potty (bellow grade with shredding pump integrated) and disassemble them when you sell (code compliance).
they will pay for themselfs in less morning/night time wasted waiting by a certain door....
in the worst case, our parents/grandparents did it with much worst conditions, yet we are here so they survived

Originally Posted By: pandus13
Delta, can you expand a bit on that? also was this also because of the "south" culture/different environment?

Thank you

For example, my average utility bill in Mississippi was $300-$400; here in Pennsylvania my highest has been $90. My car insurance is lower in PA, even sales tax, for the short list. I'm not going to get into the culture, but I will say it was not a fit for me at all. It was a miserable 8 years.

Originally Posted By: AuthorEditor

I've lived a lot of places all up and down the East Coast and costs often even out between states. For example, there might be a low income tax in a state, but that often means very high sales, excise, and property taxes. Watch out when moving for big hits on reregistering cars--some states it is cheap, while other states hit new residents up for all sorts of taxes on imported vehicles. I would say that in terms of total cost of living there is some difference between south and north, but sometimes you do get what you pay for. Here in New York every tiny community has a public library and public schools are excellent for the most part. We have huge state, county, and local parks. In any case, you have to weigh total cost vs. what you get.

When we moved South in 2006 we had a 2005 Camry they made us pay sales tax and other localities for the sum of almost $800 for a tag. Ironically when I transferred my Jetta to PA registration there was no sales tax, just the fee for lein/title transfer. I think it was like $150.

At my current residence in a small rural town it's the same way. Parks, libraries, etc. My county is cheap on taxes.

Quote:
When we moved South in 2006 we had a 2005 Camry they made us pay sales tax and other localities for the sum of almost $800 for a tag. Ironically when I transferred my Jetta to PA registration there was no sales tax, just the fee for lein/title transfer. I think it was like $150.

Similarly, property or excise taxes can be brutal in some states, and they hit you every year. Here in New York the initial sales tax can be high (7% here) but after that it is just a registration renewal every couple of years for maybe $30-$50. In South Carolina I was paying $400 a year in property taxes on my boat--we don't have personal property taxes in New York.

Originally Posted By: pandus13

then you can start by fixing what is safety-related in your house and use some insulation to get lower heating/ac bills.
i can't remember if you have a basement, but with only one bathroom, you can always build a temporary shower and potty (bellow grade with shredding pump integrated) and disassemble them when you sell (code compliance).
they will pay for themselfs in less morning/night time wasted waiting by a certain door....
in the worst case, our parents/grandparents did it with much worst conditions, yet we are here so they survived

I might do that in a couple of years--work on siding. Strip, pull out the blown-in insulation, put on vapor, then T111. Do vinyl later on.

Ironically, wife just emailed to say the toilet is broken. The handle disintegrated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back