Havoline DS 10w30 SN - 4,000mi - Santa Fe 3.5 LX

Status
Not open for further replies.
Horrid shear for a 10w30 and it's a modest interval. "Wear" numbers are fine but not impressed with the condition of the oil at all. Excessive shear and low TBN. Get your money's worth out of your UOA and try a different oil.

Not the greatest, you're solidly in 20 weight territory, but Blackstone sets a condemnation limit of 1.0 TBN, so it's not terminal. Is this the Pro DS, or is there a conventional DS too? I would delete/black out the contact info too, don't want any trouble.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Bud_One
What was the time interval ?
Lots of short trips ?
That TBN sure looks low for only 4k miles

I agree.....the TBN is low for only 4K usage.

The oil itself seems to have a good dose of moly, some boron and calcium so maybe those Hyundai V6s are hard on oil?

I'm guessing short trips in the winter. I think that would make TBN drop quicker. Maybe thermostat, or the type of base Havoline uses.

Looks like the same type of add pack that Chevron is using for Havoline now. Calcium has dropped significantly.

Originally Posted By: Bud_One
What was the time interval ?
Lots of short trips ?
That TBN sure looks low for only 4k miles

2 months - 2/26 - 4/30
Metro area driving, always 15+ minutes
And i agree.

Originally Posted By: bullwinkle
Not the greatest, you're solidly in 20 weight territory, but Blackstone sets a condemnation limit of 1.0 TBN, so it's not terminal. Is this the Pro DS, or is there a conventional DS too? I would delete/black out the contact info too, don't want any trouble.

just standard black bottle Havoline

Looks fine to me, wear #'s are solid, that's what really counts. Yeah, it sheared a little (starts at 10.3 according to Chevron) - no big deal IMO. It's a 12 yr old, 120k mile grocery getter - what you're doing is working. Just keep it topped off and I wouldn't be scared to go 5k on the OCI. I'm sure even SuperTech would be fine.

Certainly looks like Havoline is skimping on their VI improvers for their conventional.

With conventional oils I always stuck to a one grade thicker rule above the vehicle's spec at the minimum.

It did shear, but it's also a 12 year old small V6 SUV with 100K+ miles, so I think it's hard to be too harsh on the oil...

I would consider a HM in this case though...

Last edited:
This report would indicate fuel dilution. Since they didn't test for it, we don't know for certain but I'd wager a steak dinner that it's diluted. It looks like a good report otherwise.

That same $14 NAPA kit used for HDEO will report on fuel and soot but for some reason they skip the fuel test with gasoline engines.

Originally Posted By: dustyroads
This report would indicate fuel dilution. Since they didn't test for it, we don't know for certain but I'd wager a steak dinner that it's diluted. It looks like a good report otherwise.

That same $14 NAPA kit used for HDEO will report on fuel and soot but for some reason they skip the fuel test with gasoline engines.

Great post, I agree and bottom line, fantastic wear numbers on a over 10 year old car with over 100,000 miles on an oil that can be bought in Walmart - 5 quarts = $13.

No reason for people to trash an oil on this, 1 UOA with results this good on wear numbers, the rest is subjective and like you point out, no fuel numbers and as I point out, its only 1 UOA from one "lab" on a 12 year old car. If wear is what concerns us, I would like to see an oil show better numbers at 5 times the cost.

Last edited:
My self I would try another oil , my Hyundai is a 2.7 and I tried Peak once and I went through 3 qts in 5000 miles . pulled a sample and blackstones comments were this motor didn't like this fill

I switched back to QSGB and have stayed there since then and the clock is at 275K miles just mt 2 cents worth
49.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back