M1 0W-40 or M1 Formula M 5W-40?

Status
Not open for further replies.
M1 0w40 TBN 12.6
M1 formula M 5w40 TBN 8..

for gasoline engine i prefer M1 Formula M 5w40, gasoline engine i think no need high TBN. with TBN 8 you can go longer.

i think M1 formula M 5w40 is cheaper

Originally Posted By: nyumski
M1 0w40 TBN 12.6

for gasoline engine i prefer M1 Formula M 5w40, gasoline engine i think no need high TBN. with TBN 8 you can go longer.

Montana does not have ultra low sulfur gasoline, which means TBN depletes faster. If he's going to stick to factory recommended OCI of 10K miles (is it?), then personally, I'd feel more comfortable with a higher TBN oil such as M1 0w-40.

On top of that, M1 0w-40 is actually cheaper in the US because it comes in 5qt jugs.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: nyumski
M1 0w40 TBN 12.6

Montana does not have ultra low sulfur gasoline, which means TBN depletes faster. If he's going to stick to factory recommended OCI of 10K miles (is it?), then personally, I'd feel more comfortable with a higher TBN oil such as M1 0w-40.

On top of that, M1 0w-40 is actually cheaper in the US because it comes in 5qt jugs.

M1 Formula M 5w40 has been used in the US for many years.

Originally Posted By: BobFout

I know that, but that does not necessarily mean it's a better oil for a gasoline engine.

I know that, but that does not necessarily mean it's a better oil for a gasoline engine.

It's MB 229.3/229.5 and has been the preferred oil for dealer-serviced MB gas engines.

It's MB 229.3/229.5 and has been the preferred oil for dealer-serviced MB gas engines.

Just like Castrol 5w-40 is the preferred oil for dealer-serviced VW/Audi gas engines. Will it do the job? Yes. But does it mean it's the best option you can get?

I did not say M1 Formula M 5w-40 was bad oil.

Originally Posted By: thescreensavers
How much does Merc charger for Formula M?

About $100 for 9 quarts and the filter. I do my own OC's.

Originally Posted By: dailydriver
Does that AMG/Merc spec call for low/mid SAPS oils??

No, MB 229.5 is full SAPS. From what I can tell from the MSDS, Formula M 5W-40 is pretty much all Visom and very little PAO. M1 0W-40 has the MB 229.5 plus several other approvals, higher TBN, and now a GTL/PAO base stock. I am running the new FS 0W-40 in my E63.

Just like Castrol 5w-40 is the preferred oil for dealer-serviced VW/Audi gas engines. Will it do the job? Yes. But does it mean it's the best option you can get?

I did not say M1 Formula M 5w-40 was bad oil.

Just pointing out if TBN retention was poor, we'd know already.

Pics:

Lw1RZ2FYDN2oKqh88

SQqhXPi2QeWvewxHA

oKrK1KLj9zzxtEEb9

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back