Shop put WRONG muffler on

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: 01rangerxl
That's one advantage of getting the kit...mandrel bends and exact fit. I put the Dynomax kit on my old truck in my driveway without even lifting it up. I just chopped up the old exhaust with a Sawzall and took it off, then bolted up the new one.

I have heard of people having a lot of trouble with kits. This worked fine. Mandrel bend is nice but I doubt it would make a difference in this application. Plenty of exhaust flow.

I just installed one of these mufflers on my son's S10 last night. Same as you did, cut and insert in the existing pipe. His goes out a tail pipe and is about half as loud as my side pipe.

Originally Posted By: dwcopple
did you JB Weld the muffler on???

I put some stuff like that in all the gaps to seal it hopefully from salt getting in there over winter.

I couldn't wait for them, they had workers out on leave for some reason and told me to wait to the next moday. I did it myself and am happier to have done that as I got the satisfaction of knowing it is done right.

Anyone want a used Flowmaster? Here it is.

Just put a Dynomax Super Turbo on my son's Chevy S10. The hanger came out very nicely:
HangerS10.jpg

I know an OLD thread, but completely relevant in my case since my 01' 2.3L ranger's exhaust is finally done..

I am looking for as quiet as possible and see both Walker has their own line along with Dynomax Super Turbo.

I was going to buy a kit but now I am thinking of contacting a local exhaust shop so they can run my exhaust out the side of the truck right before the rear passenger wheel. (just looks nicer to me)

I found two models according to Walker's website that fit:

Walker Muffler:
http://www.amazon.com/Walker-21353-Quiet...d=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Super Turbo muffler:
http://www.amazon.com/Dynomax-17748-Supe...=A3CM4NUYDVGV5D

Seems the only difference is the Walker is S/S and the Super Turbo is aluminized steel.

Are the internals the same? If I piece together a walker exhaust it's about $180 which isn't bad. Again for an 01' Ranger I'm not looking to spend a lot on this thing, it's not any performance machine..lol

Would the exhaust be a lot louder coming out the side rather than the rear of the truck?

I have also noticed that some say the piping diameter is different, so should I look for a muffler that is only 2" diameter? Both of those linked above are 2.5" I believe.

Thanks
-Nigel

Last edited:
Walker owns Dynomax, so there's probably not much difference in similar grades of Walker and Dynomax mufflers.

I have always been happy with Walker/Dynomax products. They work like they are supposed to and are usually a great value. I have a Walker y-pipe/precat assembly on my 2002 3.0 Ranger that is now over two years and over 35K miles old...no problems, no CEL. Pretty good for the least expensive direct fit on the market. I bought a Magnaflow first, and it didn't fit my automatic trans truck, which probably 80%+ of 3.0 Rangers are. Magnaflow apparently only test fit it on a manual. From then on, nothing but Dynomax or Walker for me on Rangers if I'm messing with it myself. Otherwise it goes to the exhaust shop.

That said, you guys should do something about all that salt up there.
grin.gif
My 1994 Ranger has 100% original exhaust front to rear, save for the muffler heat shield getting knocked off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back