Discount Tire Cert put to use.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Was out shopping and running errands Saturday afternoon and discovered the following on the RT43 purchased last fall, rear wheel. Luckily DT store only a mile down the road from discovery. Drove up, asst. manager who I've gotten to know came right out, sprayed some liquid on it, sidewall bubbling. Removed tire and replaced with a new tire that was used briefly by another customer until his replacement came in. Out in less than 30 minutes.

New RT43 ordered Monday morn, arrived from Ga. Continental Tire Ga warehouse Tues morning. Mounted balanced Tuesday afternoon. As additional info, environmental fee charged and if want cert on new tire $16, so $20 bill out the door. Tire directly from warehouse made second week of February.

Normally don't buy the certificates, but as the RT43s were purchased because of another puncture in unrepairable area in a Primacy no longer available in my size, decided to use as a negotiating tool along with best online price to wrap into lowest price. Usually only buy on promo but Mich about 5 years old with temporary diy rope/string repair on front tire, decided to go ahead and buy a new set.

So all in all, another excellent experience with DT. And RT43 V rated here, after ~6500 miles very comparable to the previous MXV4 Primacy.

1f275a3f-937c-4fe4-90e6-e9158a1f9b79.jpg

94d00692-3457-48b1-88b1-0fd1395cab89.jpg

This is the pneumatic wire cup brush used at DT as standard practice on all wheel hubs and wheels to remove any surface rust before mounting tires. Rust not much of an issue here, still imo reflection of attention to detail at DT.
34435139-160b-4096-89b6-c2060ce48f9f.jpg

I got the certificates last Fall for my RT43s too. You never know when you'll need them, only takes once for them to pay for themselves and myself and my family members have used them many times before.

I learned something about Discount Tire recently that I never knew. They have pro-rated road hazard coverage included on all tires they sell. This is separate from the free replacement certificates they sell.

I generally don't buy the replacement certificates, but I was able to use the free pro-rated road hazard recently.

I have a nearly new set of Cooper CS5 tires on my truck. I got a not-repairable flat and it only cost me $30 to get a new tire. Since the old one was barely worn the cost of the replacement tire was mostly covered.

It's mentioned on their website, but I had missed it in the past:
http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/brochure/tire/priceIncludes.jsp

Quote:
Tires damaged due to normal road hazards will be prorated based on treadwear. For a little extra peace of mind, our Certificate for Repair, Refund or Replacement is available for purchase (excluding ATV, trailer, golf cart and utility tires).

^^^ Years ago I actually used the DT proration on a factory OEM BFG Rugged Trail on an Explorer with a puncture in a non repairable area. They called Michelin directly and got a prorated adjustment that was significantly less expensive than purchasing a new tire. That was pretty amazing to me at the time on a tire not purchased there. Just add that to free puncture repair in repairable area for any tire no matter purchase point.

But as said, this time with no promotion, able to negotiate/wrap the certs in with lowest price and not pay full price for them, it was a good option for me. And after previous puncture retiring a previous set a tad early, I was more wary. And as noted on bitog before, similar to DT tire pricing, even the cert pricing is negotiable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back