Timken bearings =/= quality

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just got back from the shop who replaced both front wheel bearings on my Focus in my sig. Had them replace the left then the noise was still there as well as trac and ABS lights lit up on the dash. Spoke to the mechanic and we decided I'd replace the other bearing (right) as well as both wheel sensors.

First time I went with the $$$ Timken bearing and hub PN#HA590263K and paid $60.15 CAD.

Second time I decided that since both the Timken and WJB (a cheaper part at $28.01 CAD) both have a year warranty, there's no point in spending the extra on fancy parts that have the same coverage. I ordered the second with both front ABS /speed sensors.

After getting the car back the ABS and trac lights came on. Took it back to mechanic who connected it to his scanner and concluded that three wheels showed a wheel speed of 30mph, but the left one only showed 8mph a sign of a bad reading from the left sensor (previous sensor didn't show anything).

Side note, when I first received the Timken in the Timken box from Rockauto, everything was just "tossed" into a box. When I got the cheaper WJB, all parts were individually wrapped in protective packaging before being placed in the WJB box from the factory.

Now I have to negotiate if he'll replace the bearing free or charge me again
smirk.gif

Maybe it was packaging, maybe it was a fluke...all I know is I get to waste more of my time and my mechanics

...oh the joys of older cars
tired.gif

I don't like your mechanic. I think you should find one more knowledgeable.

Sorry about your bad luck. Sometimes Timken misses the mark. I, however, suspect the bearing was pressed in incorrectly.

Last edited:
I have had issues with aftermarket bearings, even brands like Timken that used to be a better quality. I would go OEM for bearings every time now.

Originally Posted By: Gokhan
Who makes Ford OEM bearings?

Ford sources OEM bearings from many suppliers, not just one manufacturer.

If you plan on keeping a car a long time, replace wheel bearings with OEM parts (if available). Replacement parts are made to different quality and warranty requirements. OEM parts are scrutinized for failure within warranty by both supplier and automaker. That's why OEM is 4X more expensive than aftermarket.

Originally Posted By: KrisZ
Wheel bearings, you don't want to skimp on, as the labor costs a lot more than the parts. The warranty length is irrelevant.

I agree which is why I bought the more expensive one hoping for a prolonged life.

Originally Posted By: DemoFly
I don't like your mechanic. I think you should find one more knowledgeable.

Sorry about your bad luck. Sometimes Timken misses the mark. I, however, suspect the bearing was pressed in incorrectly.

I think you might be onto something. This is the first time I've used his services

Originally Posted By: Kestas

If you plan on keeping a car a long time, replace wheel bearings with OEM parts (if available). Replacement parts are made to different quality and warranty requirements. OEM parts are scrutinized for failure within warranty by both supplier and automaker. That's why OEM is 4X more expensive than aftermarket.

Well, I'm a big-time OEM and stock-part guy myself. So, you are preaching to to choir.

However, occasionally OEM parts are of poor quality and aftermarket parts are of excellent quality.

Yea that car uses a press in bearing for the front. So if the sensor was not reading proper he may not have install it properly or installed it backwards. The bearings are faced, so one sided goes out and the other in.

Timken even warns about it being installed backwards as it happens more than people think...

"Contains ABS Encoder Seal Install With The Serrated Black Seal Toward Sensor"

Originally Posted By: Kestas

However, occasionally OEM parts are of poor quality and aftermarket parts are of excellent quality.

You're talking about the rare isolated case. I'm talking about the general rule.

Just bought rear wheel bearings for my 4Runner. Chose Timken for the name, but I was surprised when I got the box they were Nachi branded. Luckily it's still a quality name, but I'm dissapointed that Timken just reboxes other stuff in some cases. The Timken box even has a disclaimer that they may vary the choice in supplier.

Originally Posted By: nobb
Just bought rear wheel bearings for my 4Runner. Chose Timken for the name, but I was surprised when I got the box they were Nachi branded. Luckily it's still a quality name, but I'm dissapointed that Timken just reboxes other stuff in some cases. The Timken box even has a disclaimer that they may vary the choice in supplier.

Not at all uncommon. When a manufacturer doesn't figure there is enough money in tooling up another part, but still wants market presence and coverage, they'll do things like re-boxing.

I bought a Timken bearing for my 2000 Accord and it was a re-boxed NSK.

Funny how wheel bearing seem to be a wear item now. When I was a kid it was un-heard of to replace ANY wheel bearing. I suppose the drive for lighter cars brought this on.

Funny how wheel bearing seem to be a wear item now. When I was a kid it was un-heard of to replace ANY wheel bearing. I suppose the drive for lighter cars brought this on.

Originally Posted By: Bgallagher
I have had issues with aftermarket bearings, even brands like Timken that used to be a better quality. I would go OEM for bearings every time now.

This is why I stopped buying bearings from online parts stores except for SKF. Timken, National, F.A.G. Ina, etc were all top shelf bearings but more and more of their units are being outsourced to Chinese companies especially Timken and National (now Moog).

SKF still makes wheel bearings designed to go over 100K but cost a premium, the rest I want to see the box and bearing for COO before buying it. Timken in some cases doesn't even label COO on the box or the bearing run from these pieces of junk.
The USA made ones (usually NOS) are very good. National was one of the best but now owned by Moog and is fpr the most part just cheap Chinese garbage.

The reality today of buy bearing that are any good on anything from wheel bearings to idler pulleys is a [censored] shoot, OE is they way to go unless you can identify the bearings source.
A good example is idler pulleys, it may have Made in USA on the box but looking at the bearing it has made in China on it, its junk. In another box from the same brand and part# it has a bearing made in Canada and these hold up as long as OE, you have to look in the box and examine the part.

The days of buying new parts from a parts store and actually having the parts be decent quality and work properly are long gone. The new part failure rate is horrific even among old and once trusted names. Dealer OE parts are generally superior unless you are buying custom stuff from a small manufacturer but these parts often cost more than OE, eg custom ground billet camshafts, performance brake components, high end shocks, engine parts, etc.

Originally Posted By: philipp10

That's because they were serviceable. So when you did a brake job you also cleaned and repacked the wheel bearings.

How about this Dayco A/C idler pulley I just bought and installed? Pulley is made in USA and bearing is made in Taiwan by NTN. I had no OEM choice because Nippondenso discontinued the bearing/pulley/mounting-hardware assembly and I could only get it internationally through a Japanese company for 3x the price, not from Toyota dealers in USA.

IMAG8324.jpg

IMAG8325.jpg

IMAG8326.jpg

OEM bearing was made by Nippondenso (I had no idea Nippondenso made bearings) and it was semisealed (for less high-RPM drag) unlike the fully sealed (for more protection) NTN bearing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back