Motorcycle suggestions

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, after all that discussion, I went to a local dealer yesterday to fondle the Ducatis, Triumphs and BMWs. It was rainy out so I didn't get to ride anything. They had a 2,000mi Yamaha SR400 that my wife liked. She didn't like that it was kick-start only, even if it was crazy easy to kick. They mentioned that Genuine (the scooter importers) will be importing a CB400SS close very soon, so we think that will be my wife's bike, once it is released: http://www.scooterfile.com/oems/genuine-...00c-motorcycle/

Also, I looked through Craigslist for an SV650 that was cheap and rideable. I found a couple and checked one out tonight, I ended up bringing her home. It's a 2001 with about 15,000mi on it.

I wanted a 1st gen SV since I think it looks a little better, but that meant it is carbed, not fuel injected. So in the end, I compromised on a single sided swing arm and fuel injection. But now I can take my time to find a good condition Monster S2R 800.

517x45.jpg

Good Bike. I owned the same one and but it was an S model. I had no problems in the ~20K miles I owned it with just basic maintenance. Its a quicker bike than you would expect and seemed to be bulletproof. The only reason I got rid of it was someone backed into it and totaled it. So it was a great reason to switch to Ducatis, I owned a 800ss and that is a great motor (same as the monster 800) and easy to take care of.

But if your dreaming of a next bike like I was that I would go for the monster S4R (coming from a 996 owner) great bikes.

I love the 1st generation SVs. I would have jumped all over that one myself. Carbs are no big deal, especially if they are properly tuned

Thanks, everyone! I'm already looking forward to its first oil change, coolant change and brake bleed.

The carbs don't really bother me too much, I've never opened the carbs in my GS500 over the 11 years I had them, I just kept them clean with a fuel filter, Techron and fuel stabilizer. The XS400 I was working on, on the other hand, I had cleaned those carbs many times. I'm not as sad that bike burned down. I even bought a carb sync tool for the GS500 that I haven't even used yet.

I'm quite partial to the 1st gen curves over the 2nd. If the 2017 was released, I might have jumped on that. http://www.cycleworld.com/2017-suzuki-sv650-pricing-and-availability-announced

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back