Motorcycle insurance or auto insurance?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I tow my bike almost every weekend. If I were to have an accident while towing the bike and it was damaged, would that be covered under my auto or my bike insurance? Would it be covered at all? In case it's relevant, I just have liability on my car, but full coverage on the bike...

I expect if it was towed with wheels off the ground it would go on your car policy. But read it for exclusions. They wouldn't want you towing the Venus de Milo on a Harbor Freight trailer for example. "It had arms when I set out, I swear!" They are pretty tight about $$$ limits for "cargo".

You'd want, at a minimum, a trailer engineered for the feat, tie-downs that meet industry standards, and 100% compliance with all laws and stupid recommendations (like 65 MPH trailer tire speed limits).

Realistically you want collission/ comprehensive on the bike from the same company as your car is covered, so they don't get into the finger pointing game.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
I expect if it was towed with wheels off the ground it would go on your car policy. But read it for exclusions. They wouldn't want you towing the Venus de Milo on a Harbor Freight trailer for example. "It had arms when I set out, I swear!" They are pretty tight about $$$ limits for "cargo".

You'd want, at a minimum, a trailer engineered for the feat, tie-downs that meet industry standards, and 100% compliance with all laws and stupid recommendations (like 65 MPH trailer tire speed limits).

Realistically you want collission/ comprehensive on the bike from the same company as your car is covered, so they don't get into the finger pointing game.

Not possible for me to have them both insured through the same company, as USAA doesn't insure bikes, and I'd be dumb to drop USAA and put my car on Geico...

You would think if the bike was on a trailer it would be under the trailers insurance. But I do agree with asking a more experienced source.

Originally Posted By: skyactiv
Don't ask us, ask your agent.

+1

Originally Posted By: Bud
Originally Posted By: skyactiv
Don't ask us, ask your agent.

+1

It's state dependent I think. Some states cover towed vehicles under their own policy, some others cover it under the policy of the towing vehicle.

Yes ask the agent. Consider what is the value of the bike and trailer?

Originally Posted By: grampi
Originally Posted By: eljefino

Not possible for me to have them both insured through the same company, as USAA doesn't insure bikes, and I'd be dumb to drop USAA and put my car on Geico...

If you're in Ohio get a bike/auto quote bundle from erie. Geico is robbery for MC insurance. erie was 1/3rd of the price when i was bike quote shopping.

Quote:
Geico is robbery for MC insurance.

Maybe so where you are for full coverage. I pay Geico $99 per year for liability only on my motorcycle. I've never found anything lower. Same with my cars--I've gotten quotes from other companies and local agents and when they see what I am paying they usually don't get back to me. I would switch if there were a better alternative, and I use Progressive for my boat, but Geico has always been great for cars and motorcycles for me for many decades. The very few claims that I have had were settled quickly, fairly, and without hassle and my rate didn't go up either.

Originally Posted By: AuthorEditor
Quote:
Geico is robbery for MC insurance.

Maybe so where you are for full coverage. I pay Geico $99 per year for liability only on my motorcycle. I've never found anything lower. Same with my cars--I've gotten quotes from other companies and local agents and when they see what I am paying they usually don't get back to me. I would switch if there were a better alternative, and I use Progressive for my boat, but Geico has always been great for cars and motorcycles for me for many decades. The very few claims that I have had were settled quickly, fairly, and without hassle and my rate didn't go up either.

I'm only paying a little over $200 a year for full coverage, which I don't think is bad at all. I just wish USAA would start covering bikes...

My thinking is this but you can call your ins company. Im sure I am right.

If you have full coverage on your bike, you are covered no matter how and what happens to the bike.
Its that simple. Being the bike gets in an accident on a trailer or a tornado takes it away or the house falls on it in the garage or your drunk as a skunk friend takes it for a ride and crashes or if your bike falls out of plane, it doesnt matter..

Your insurance company pays you and then if your ins company thinks someone else should pay them, they will go after that person or company.

Grampi, why do you tow your bike nearly every weekend? Hopefully it's not a reflection on Triumph reliability
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: hpb
Grampi, why do you tow your bike nearly every weekend? Hopefully it's not a reflection on Triumph reliability
smile.gif

Not at all. I work in IL, and ride in MI and OH on the weekends...

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
So why not RIDE to Ohio and Michigan?!

Because I can take a lot more stuff with me if I drive the car and tow the bike...

...and I found out from my insurance company that the bike is covered while towing under the bike's insurance...

USAA is not all that it used to be. I dumped my USAA auto coverage a few years ago although I still have homeowners insurance with them...for now.

Originally Posted By: bigdreama
USAA is not all that it used to be. I dumped my USAA auto coverage a few years ago although I still have homeowners insurance with them...for now.

Why do you say this? I've never had a problem with USAA, and they still have the lowest premiums that I've been able to find...another note on USAA...both of my daughters had accidents and tickets when they first started driving and USAA never raised our premiums...any other company would've jacked up our rates...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back