Mazda: make the MX-5 lighter, not more powerful

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars/future-cars/news/a29115/mazda-engineers-lighter-miata/

Excerpt:
Originally Posted By: Chris Perkins, R&T
"[A turbocharger] really doesn't fit in with the ethos of that car," Coleman said in an interview with Road & Track. "There's plenty of room to try to make the car lighter and better that way."

As for how or when we might see an even lighter version of the Miata, Coleman said that the details are all still very much up in the air. "We honestly don't know how, but the long-term plan for the car is to keep taking weight off somehow—hoping we'll find the technology to do that at a reasonable cost," he said.

"It could be that we just figure out a way to make all the cars lighter," he continued. "Next time you see a facelift, it could come with a haircut and a shave too."

What an oasis of sanity in the current auto industry!

Agree wholeheartedly on that one.

That's engineering at it's core, rather then throw in another 100 lbs, and another 101hp/100lbs to cover it...makes all of the other dynamics sort of...dynamic.

I know for and Mazda aren't so intertwined any more, but they could dip into the Ford design catalogue, and switch to "military grade" aluminum...

Or get lotus involved... They're good at "adding lightness"

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: earlyre
I know for and Mazda aren't so intertwined any more, but they could dip into the Ford design catalogue, and switch to "military grade" aluminum...

They're good at breaking pieces off, too.

Originally Posted By: Miller88
I thought the current generation of Miata was smaller than the last?

And lighter. Though still bigger and heavier than the first generation, I think.

The technology definitely exists to make it much lighter, though. The only question is how to do it in a viable and cost-effective way.

Originally Posted By: yvon_la
https://rotarypowercrew.com/2013/07/11/rotary-engine-16x-next-generation-renesis/

could this be their aim? put the 16x in the miata( since the 16x it is the same 1.6 liter as the original)

it sure would be a nice 50 th anniversary birthday present of mazda wankel

Pretty sure the rotary isn't coming back:

http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2012/06/26/mazda-ends-production-rotary-engine/

EDIT: never mind. Looks like they do want to do more with it http://www.wired.com/2015/12/mazdas-confusing-plan-to-resurrect-the-famously-dirty-rotary-engine/

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: d00df00d
Originally Posted By: Miller88
I thought the current generation of Miata was smaller than the last?

And lighter. Though still bigger and heavier than the first generation, I think.

The technology definitely exists to make it much lighter, though. The only question is how to do it in a viable and cost-effective way.

I wonder how much more the AL F150's cost to make?
I've had a few rides in an Elise and its surprising how close in weight the Miata is to second gen Elise already, so its not going to be easy.
I guess they could go to full Al doors for a few pounds, but probably the best idea would be to make a coupe version for the real hardcore people that want the lightest car possible and probably will track it as well.
Also the car is getting pretty quick, roughly the same straight line performance as a 90's 5.0 mustang, with 14.6s quarter mile.

Originally Posted By: yvon_la
https://rotarypowercrew.com/2013/07/11/rotary-engine-16x-next-generation-renesis/

could this be their aim? put the 16x in the miata( since the 16x it is the same 1.6 liter as the original)

I'd be shocked. Unless the 16x is a lot lighter than the Renesis, it might actually be heavier than the MX-5's current engine. Rotaries are light for their output, but not lighter than a modern lower-output all-aluminum I4.

Ford? "Military grade" aluminum
cry.gif

Since separation from FORD, Mazda behaves like someone freed them from the hands of kidnaper.

Originally Posted By: thescreensavers
Adding power also makes the car heavier as the whole driveline will need to be beefed up to make the designed life cycles.

And you need bigger brakes, and more chassis reinforcement, and bigger tires.

Originally Posted By: edyvw

cry.gif

Since separation from FORD, Mazda behaves like someone freed them from the hands of kidnaper.

+1

cry.gif

Actually, the Ford/ Mazda marriage was one of the more successful alliances.

If you want to talk about a disastrous relationship you could talk about how GM destroyed Saab.

Originally Posted By: pbm

cry.gif

If you want to talk about a disastrous relationship you could talk about how GM destroyed Saab.

Of course, GM did not only destroyed SAAB. GM also destroyed OPEL in 80's.
But FORD, "military grade?" This sounds like: oh yeah, we use Aluminum that Audi started to use in, wait, 1995.
FORD gained much more from Mazda then Mazda gained from FORD.

cry.gif

But FORD, "military grade?" This sounds like: oh yeah, we use Aluminum that Audi started to use in, wait, 1995.

Good for Ford....that's what 'investments' are supposed to do.

Now remember GM's 'investment' in Fiat....not so smart....

Last edited:

Good for Ford....that's what 'investments' are supposed to do.

Slight but important correction:

A good investment is supposed to net the investor more than they invested. It's not supposed to benefit the investor more than the investee. The way it's supposed to work is that EACH party derives a net benefit, which is how the Ford-Mazda relationship went AFAIK.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back