Fumoto or EZ Change ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you have a preference between the "Fumoto" or "EZ Change" drain plugs ?They seem to be about the same price. I had a Fumoto on a car that I sold and had no problem with it looking to put one or the other on my current car.

Years ago some salesman nails our boss on these and we installed them... a sump with 5 or so quarts isn't too bad.. ours are in the gallons range with 15/40.. soooo lol we unscrew the ezdrain to get it over with quicker

Nothing wrong afaik on smaller rigs

EZ Change copied Fumoto and even uses the same part numbers. Seems kind of lazy. Their quality is not quite as good. Fumoto are all brass and stainless, stick with the original.

Tried Fumotos on a couple of cars, pulled them and use the drain plugs again. Fumoto is too slow and no matter what they claim did not fully drain the sump on my Impala. Left a fair bit of oil in there. Since I have to crawl under anyway it is just as easy or easier to pull the plug with a socket wrench. My two cents.

Originally Posted By: AuthorEditor
Tried Fumotos on a couple of cars, pulled them and use the drain plugs again. Fumoto is too slow and no matter what they claim did not fully drain the sump on my Impala. Left a fair bit of oil in there. Since I have to crawl under anyway it is just as easy or easier to pull the plug with a socket wrench. My two cents.

I'm with you. I would use one if the threads were kind of boogered up on the pan. Then I would red locktite it into place so it couldn't loosen back up.

Last edited:
I've even used the Fram branded "Sure Drain." It worked fine for me. I have a Fumoto on my current car. The Sure Drain would be great for those who seem to be paranoid of the Fumoto opening up on them in driving situations. Sure Drain requires a second piece to be screwed in to open the drain and it has a dust cap that screws on when you're not draining.

Originally Posted By: Donald
The amount of oil left is insignificant.

It's probably application dependent. If I let the Fumoto stop dripping on my G37, and remove it, then there is slow dripping. It's not like there's a significant amount left behind. Other applications may certainly be different.

Originally Posted By: Donald
The amount of oil left is insignificant.

This is true.

Dig deeply into the factory specs for your engine. Not the owners manual type specs - the engineering ones. Common for up to a quart of oil to be left.

Too many Bitogers seem to have OCD about oil left during an oil change.

The EZ change just looks cheap, but they may be fine. It is about $2.50 less for the EZ Change vs the Fumoto for me. But I do see the EZ Change uses an o-ring seal vs a washer on the Fumoto.
I have a Fumoto on my truck (drain hole threads are kind of messed up from a previous oil change before I got it, so the Fumoto keeps me from messing them up any more).
I have not gotten around to getting one for my Scion, but I have just started doing oil changes on it (had 3 years of "free" oil changes from Scion). Maybe I will try the EZ Change.

I know on my Elantra and Grand Caravan the amount of oil left in the pan was minimal (no more oil came out on the Elantra, and on the Grand Caravan only maybe 20 cc of oil came out, I pulled them off the first time I used them to check).

I kind of like the idea of an washer instead of the O ring.Probably no big deal but that`s my preference.

I`d like one with a nipple so I could put a plastic hose on and drain right into an empty gallon jug.

Originally Posted By: Jimkobb
I`d like one with a nipple so I could put a plastic hose on and drain right into an empty gallon jug.

Fumoto has such an option. Also, the Sure Drain is designed with a hose nipple and even comes with a piece of hose.

Originally Posted By: DBMaster
Originally Posted By: Jimkobb

Fumoto has such an option. Also, the Sure Drain is designed with a hose nipple and even comes with a piece of hose.
Yep , looks like I am going to stick with Fumoto. Fumoto 103N will likely be my pick.

Quote:
Does anyone feel the need for the safety clip on the Fumoto?

No. There is no way that thing would open unless something pushed it in just the right way and pretty hard. If it hangs down at all I wouldn't use a Fumoto since the danger of breaking it off would be bad.

Originally Posted By: AuthorEditor
Quote:
Does anyone feel the need for the safety clip on the Fumoto?

No. There is no way that thing would open unless something pushed it in just the right way and pretty hard. If it hangs down at all I wouldn't use a Fumoto since the danger of breaking it off would be bad.

Been using them since early 90s, one car had it on for over 20 years. On one I ran over a concrete median shaved the nipple off of the Fumoto but no harm done, did not open and still functioned well for years after that. As noted, these things are built like tanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back