Can this tire be repaired?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I found a nail in my almost-new tire, and it's leaking 4 psi per week. I plan to take it to a tire shop but wanted BITOG's opinion. Is it too close to the sidewall? It's about 2.5 inches away from the edge

leaktire.jpg

Yep.

Don't use a sticky string kit though. Well, I don't recommend it at least. I always have done it with 0 issues. But I hear the mushroom plugs that are a bit harder to find are a much better option.

Originally Posted By: HerrStig
It needs to be patched from the inside, but plugged first to keep water out of the tread plies.

The vast majority of shops are going to use a one-piece patch/plug that does both.

topairtools_141154.jpg

I had a small pin hole leak right where the tread meets the sidewall on a brand new tire (factory tire on new car). Shop would not repair. I took a toothpick and dipped it in crazy glue and shoved it in the hole (tiny pin hole) and broke it off even with tread. Ran it that way for 50,000 miles.

haha it is common in my place since i work in dusty road and factory.
nails are scattered around the road..

my left-back tyre is hit by nails for 4 times and here the nails is thrown away by yanking it out using small pliers then the hole is covered with some kind glue rubber by inserting it using modified screwdriver..

simple and cheap

Last edited:
I've plugged dozens of tires, several of those tires with multiple plugs, and have yet to have one fail. El cheapo plugs, and I've even been out of rubber cement on the last 3 or 4. Sure, I know eventually one will fail. When it does, it will get a double plug!

Skip the tire shop and go pick up a pack of plugs with the tool for $6 and you'll have enough plugs to fix several flats. I've probably driven a million miles on tires with plugs and never a failure.

Using RMA procedures as done at Discount Tire I'm going to say, maybe to probably. It's close, but could be inside the repairable area shown in the DT link below. Nothing to lose though by taking it to a DT store to check, worst they can say is no.

http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/infoRepairingTires.do

Then options are, as noted can do your own diy repair using a rope/string type plug. Though frowned upon by some, before DT came to the area I used them many times with success.

The other is, if DT can't/won't repair with RMA plug/patch procedure, they may work with you on getting a replacement at a reasonable price. They did that for me on a factory OEM BFG Rugged Trail tire with a puncture in a non repairable area. Called Michelin and got me an adjusted price on a replacement. It was less than the total price of a new one. Can't hurt to ask before going the diy repair route.

Good luck.

Those blue plugs steven9666 pictured above are EXPENSIVE. We used flat, rubber patches about the size of a half-dollar for ever with success. Those are no longer available.

Where the OP's tire was punctured is exactly where my friend got a flat on a brand new tire. We used his last simple patch mentioned above.

I have fixed this type of leak using do it yourself tire plugs.
Always has worked for me.

Just so everyone understands:

The area of a tire that is NOT suitable for repair is 1) the sidewall - because the movement of the sidewall is complex and patches don't stay adhered - and 2) within 1" of the shoulder - because that is where the edges of the belts are and those are the most highly stressed area of the tire. There is an increased risk of a belt leaving belt separation (aka tread separation).

Also, plugs are NOT considered a good repair as they have an increased risk of causing a failure because they a) don't seal as well as a patch, and b) they don't bridge the damaged area. The problem is that while the failure rate is low, the consequences are sometimes extreme (Tire failures have been known to cause fatal accidents!)

Originally Posted By: CapriRacer
Just so everyone understands:

The area of a tire that is NOT suitable for repair is 1) the sidewall - because the movement of the sidewall is complex and patches don't stay adhered - and 2) within 1" of the shoulder - because that is where the edges of the belts are and those are the most highly stressed area of the tire. There is an increased risk of a belt leaving belt separation (aka tread separation).

Also, plugs are NOT considered a good repair as they have an increased risk of causing a failure because they a) don't seal as well as a patch, and b) they don't bridge the damaged area. The problem is that while the failure rate is low, the consequences are sometimes extreme (Tire failures have been known to cause fatal accidents!)

This is just a cautionary statement used by lawyers to avoid litigation. People have safely used plugs to repair tires much closer to the side wall than that, without incident.

I had a patch put in my old all seasons a couple years ago, basically right in the corner of the tire. I actually asked the local tire shop if they could put a patch there giving them an opening to sell a tire, but they said it would be fine, and it was. No leaks and I recently had these tires taken off and the patch was well stuck with no signs of movement.
That was on a set of high profile 3 seasons that rarely got stressed in cornering, but had lots of sidewall movement as they were single ply sidewalls. I guess the tire in question should have much less sidewall deflection due to a stiffer sidewall.
With the small hole being 2.5" away from the edge I bet a tire shop will patch it without a question. Yes it probably does raise the chance of tire failure some tiny amount, but if I got a similar hole in my new BFG comp2 I'd patch it and motor on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back