battery booster lithium?

Status
Not open for further replies.
10000mAh = 10Ah

Assuming you need 300A to jump a car, its pulling a 30 C-rate. That's REALLY high discharge rate.

At 120C or so, separators inside batteries melt. That is easy to achieve at a 30C-rate since heat generated is I^2 * Resistance.

So Id be concerned about the battery being a safety concern after using it more than a few times...

If it's used as a charger to put a surface charge back in the dead battery it might have some use. I doubt it will provide enough current to crank a cold engine. SO the trick is to hook up the cables and wait.

Faulty lithium batteries can easily create enough heat to be an excellent ignition source. As a general statement, I would not touch a "bargain brand" Chinese lithium jump start battery with a barge pole. And I certainly would not keep one in my house.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: cashmoney
Faulty lithium batteries can easily create enough heat to be an excellent ignition source. As a general statement, I would not touch a "bargain brand" Chinese lithium jump start battery with a barge pole. And I certainly would not keep one in my house.

+1

A CR123A lithium battery nearly burned down my house a few years ago. Son had a flashlight with CR123A's in it. Family was out of town for the weekend. Neighbor had key to house and was going over daily to feed/water the cat. He went over one day to find lots of smoke in the house. Found son's flashlight on floor with large circle of carpet burned/melted down to the concrete slab underneath. Carpet was still smoldering.

Even my genius boost which is about $100 lithium jump starter has trouble with some applications. It's rated at 400 amps and I saw an electrician with testing equipment showing its actually 200 amps.

That's enough to start some stuff but certainly not everything.

They have more powerful models now but are more expensive.

I wouldn't trust those $40 packs to be safe.

I had a Powerall jumpstarter. It's still working.

I also had a clone Powerall; one time I stick it in the cigarette socket as a memory backup. When I finished changing the main battery and come back to retrieve it, it had suddenly grown "fat".
The lithium cells inside the pack had ballooned and bulging out the plastic case.
Luckily it didn't catch fire.

Last edited:
Neither one of my cars takes more than 40A to turn it over. 300A starters are for the bygone days or big diesels.

Originally Posted By: SHOZ
Neither one of my cars takes more than 40A to turn it over. 300A starters are for the bygone days or big diesels.

More often than not its others that we are helping with a jump of some kind.

I have a digital Ammeter that indicates my 5.2l v8 low compression mopar 318, when cold, can pull as much as 170 amps.

I do not know how many times a second it refreshes so the actual peak/inrush current 'could' be much higher.

When the engine is already warm the max I've seen it register is about 65 amps.

My fuel injected engine always starts quickly and a 12Ah AGM, the UB12120, common in many lead acid jumper packs, has no issues assisting the engine battery when I would run it too low.

Never tried a lithium jumperpack.

That's a good number to reference. 170A. So many often claim much higher.

Key is what's the temperature that this is monitored at...

Only with a scope can you really measure the inrush initial current drawn by the starter.

With the 4.3 V6 in my truck nice and hot, the initial surge is about 500 amps and during steady state cranking the current varies between 95 amps and 135 amps, the higher current being drawn when a cylinder is on its compression stroke.

Originally Posted By: kb27
You might want to watch this guy's video.
I think he's pretty good.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DDob_VFrlPk

Yes he has a chart on his site showing the GB40 at 225 max actual cranking amps and the anker power core 600 at about 350 amps. The anker is the better buy except it won't work if it doesn't read a base line voltage on the weak battery, the genius boost has a manual over ride.

http://www.mjlorton.com/portable-car-battery-jump-starter-review-tests-all-the-results/

All 3 of the Chinese units nearly exploded, some with smoke.

I'd really like to get a GB70 or GB150

these things are NOT ready for the average joe to use.
most are not well protected against common mistakes.
saw a fire at the car lot down the road where one of these packs was accidentally hooked up in reverse.it welded to the steel terminals and blew up in about 5 seconds throwing flaming debris into a car in the next bay.it was put out in a few minutes but still did several thousand in damages.
i had warned the guys that they were playing with incendiary grenades with these noname things and to stick with lead acid/agm battery packs.they had just got the fire out when i showed up with the rebuilt cluster for the truck with interior damage.they had to go to a yard and get a whole interior set as the debris hit everything.went off like a roman candle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back