I won't lie, the ACR terrifies me a bit

Status
Not open for further replies.
indv_program_AdvRoadRace_viper_acr.jpg

http://bondurant.com/advanced-road-racing-viper-acr/

Take Advanced Road Racing driving to the highest level. The Dodge SRT® Viper ACR is fastest, most advanced production vehicle available for the track. This is the ultimate in speed and performance. Experience the Viper ACR in the full track environment it was designed for with instruction to match.

Qualifications for Advanced Racing Classes
-Student has attended Bondurant 4-Day GPR class in the last two years and received at least a 3.5 grade.
-Student has attended a performance driving school class equal to Bondurant GPR 4-Day class with at least a 3.5 grade.
-Student has a competition racing license: SCCA, IMSA, FIA, NASCAR, NASA, PC

$2,999 for a 1-day class...but then again, it's only money, right?

It should, just like any 700 HP car without the slightest nod towards electronic stability.

Hint: survival in a car like that has a lot more to do with "self control" that it has to do with "reflexes".

An insane car.

For the record, it does have electronic stability control, but I'm sure it can get out of hand in a hurry.

I just saw the Head to Head episode where they ran the Viper ACR against the Corvette Z06 at Laguna Seca. Professional sports car racer Randy Pobst did the timed laps, and he loved the ACR, saying it had no bad tendencies. It put the power down in the turns very well, and he was able to drive a very smooth lap with it. He didn't like the Z06 much, saying it was a handful on corner entry. He had to countersteer in many of the turns on the track, turning a lap that was 3 seconds slower than with the ACR.

Originally Posted By: A_Harman
I just saw the Head to Head episode where they ran the Viper ACR against the Corvette Z06 at Laguna Seca. Professional sports car racer Randy Pobst did the timed laps, and he loved the ACR, saying it had no bad tendencies. It put the power down in the turns very well, and he was able to drive a very smooth lap with it. He didn't like the Z06 much, saying it was a handful on corner entry. He had to countersteer in many of the turns on the track, turning a lap that was 3 seconds slower than with the ACR.

Yep, I watched that episode too. It's not the first time the automotive journalists have said the Z06 just doesn't have the traction it needs.

Originally Posted By: dparm
indv_program_AdvRoadRace_viper_acr.jpg

http://bondurant.com/advanced-road-racing-viper-acr/

Take Advanced Road Racing driving to the highest level. The Dodge SRT® Viper ACR is fastest, most advanced production vehicle available for the track. This is the ultimate in speed and performance. Experience the Viper ACR in the full track environment it was designed for with instruction to match.

Qualifications for Advanced Racing Classes
-Student has attended Bondurant 4-Day GPR class in the last two years and received at least a 3.5 grade.
-Student has attended a performance driving school class equal to Bondurant GPR 4-Day class with at least a 3.5 grade.
-Student has a competition racing license: SCCA, IMSA, FIA, NASCAR, NASA, PC

$2,999 for a 1-day class...but then again, it's only money, right?

Why the lies?? It is neither the fastest, nor the most advanced. I'm not doubting the adequacy of the vehicle, only the dishonest description.

In September of 05 we attended the SRT Track Experience in Homestead, Fl at the NASCAR track.

During one phase of the event we all drove Vipers around the infield raceway and 1/2 the big oval. It was quite exciting.

The Viper was amazingly responsive and very easy to drive for an experienced pilot. You could literally steer it with your foot and the wheel, truly outstanding. Probably the easiest car to drive at or near its limits I have ever had the privilege of enjoying on a track...

My last stint in a viper was in a then new (1999?) Hennessey viper. It was scary compared to what I was used to. I'm sure they are much better now - but I would still be intimidated. I think that is part of self preservation.

What scares me is damaging the car. Everything else would be taking it easy and learn the power of the car.

Originally Posted By: CT8
What scares me is damaging the car.

Not to worry. Like Kimi Raikkonen tells his passenger in this ride along.
"They have plenty of cars if something happens". (0:40 in the video).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back