Honda type 2 or zerex asian?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does zerex asian formula coolant work for honda/acuras or should I stick with the type 2 from the dealer? The zerex at advance after discount codes is about 1/3 the price of the type 2 from the dealer.

Second, the zerex asian at advance and oreillys is red. From their website it looks like they make a red and blue asian coolant that are the same except for the color. Not sure why they only sell the red locally but since that is all they do sell locally would it be bad to mix the red into a honda that has type 2 blue fluid other then looks?

Third, what vehicles have red fluid that need the asian formula? I've only seen blue before.

Fourth, is the zerex asian formula for all cars that use blue coolant? Like honda, acura, nissan, infinity, bmw, subaru, etc?

Thanks

Toyota SLLC is pink, regular Toyota Long Life is red. The Zerex Asian seems to be paler in color than the Toyota ones, I've used it in my brother's '02 Nissan that has factory Nissan coolant, still looks dark green. Being a P-OAT (phosphate inhibitors) it should be compatible with any Asian manufacturer P-OAT coolant.

The Zerex Asian can be used on almost every Asian car, including Honda and Toyota. It will work fine in yours.

Toyota's new formula is pink 50/50, exact same as the Zerex.

Another option is Pentofrost A3, available at Autozone and Napa. Same exact Honda blue you'd buy at the dealer, about $15 for a gallon of 50/50 premix.

In addition, there's also Pep Boys OEM brand coolant, available in Honda blue, $20 or so for a full-strength concentrate, the only one I know of that's available as a concentrate in that coolant type. Made by Recochem in Canada.

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
The Zerex Asian can be used on almost every Asian car, including Honda and Toyota. It will work fine in yours.

Toyota's new formula is pink 50/50, exact same as the Zerex.

Another option is Pentofrost A3, available at Autozone and Napa. Same exact Honda blue you'd buy at the dealer, about $15 for a gallon of 50/50 premix.

In addition, there's also Pep Boys OEM brand coolant, available in Honda blue, $20 or so for a full-strength concentrate, the only one I know of that's available as a concentrate in that coolant type. Made by Recochem in Canada.

If you do a complete flush with distilled water then you need concentrate and OEM concentrate made by Recochem at Pep Boys is the one to go to.

Personally, I use Peak Global Lifetime concentrate I bought from NAPA in my S2000 after a complete flush with distilled water.

Last edited:
I bought a couple of gallons of the OEM Blue stuff at Pepboys. Google Pepboys coupons, I found one that was 15% off antifreeze bought online and picked up in the store. Not much, but every bit helps.

Used them to do radiator drain and fills on my Frontier and the wife's Pilot.

Originally Posted By: cpayne5
Zerex asian is fine. They even make a blue version now, if you want to keep it blue.

Wow that's awesome! I looked it up, and Napa has it for $14.49, the same price as the pink Zerex Asian. Part number 861398.

Still can't beat the Pep Boys concentrate, but for those who don't trust it, or just prefer Zerex, the Zerex blue is good to have
smile.gif

I put Zerex Asian in my Accord after replacing the water pump; it had Honda Type II before. According to the spec sheet, Zerex has the exact same chemistry as the other major Japanese coolants. Color doesn't make a difference.

Quote:
....Color doesn't make a difference.

True, it's the chemistry that counts and color not a reliable indicator of that. That said, it sure is nice to have a tint that matches the oem if that's what's being added to or doing a radiator d&f.

Good idea of ZAF to recently come out with a blue tint to match Type2, but kinda new and 'I' haven't seen it readily available yet.

Otoh, Pep Boys OEM Brand Long Life Concentrated Asian PHOAT by Recochem comes in four tints to match the oem AF and can currently be obtained with 15% off coupon/code on site and store pick up for $18.70/gal.

If I was looking for an Asian PHOAT AF, that's what I'd be using now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back