Tire drying?

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK .how do I prevent tire drying .do I need to send it back to manufacturer so they can whatever do they usually do to make rubber plyable or there is no solution?tire is brand new but it's cracking like a 200 year old sage

Brand new? Take it back to where you got it and have it replaced.

It would be helpful to know the brand and model of tire.

I meant almost no millage.only thing it face damage wise is the sun.they have two years .it isn't a defect it's just that I don't know how to prevent sun from drying my tire to nothingness

Last edited:
How old is the tire? There's likely a manufactured date stamped on it. We need a photo to make judgement.

If it is dry rotted already then I'd take it back to the original place of purchase. There could be a manufacturing defect.

You can try RV tire covers but they may be defective and covered by warranty.

Must be a Michelin
27.gif
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: Miller88
This is the norm for Michelin tires

Girlfriends Civic has Michelin Harmonys on it, they are dry rotted mostly around the bead as well. The tires ride great and grip fine but are pretty rotted. No leaks yet.. I think we'll replace them after this season despite having lots of tread left..

Originally Posted By: Bandito440
How old is the tire? There's likely a manufactured date stamped on it. We need a photo to make judgement.

The date is actually in the picture he posted of the weather checking. Its showing the 49th week of 2008, so regardless of purchase date, the tire is 8 years old.

Last edited:
Try to get a picture of your actual tires like the example you provided, with the date code in the frame.

Originally Posted By: yvon_la
The picture I supplied is just an example .it isn't what's on the car. But two years ago they looked perfect.

There are many things that can cause a tire to crack:
1) Age
2) Heat
3) Ozone exposure
4) Low inflation pressure

Typically, its a combination of the above. Even if the tire is not being used.

Why do you expect the there would be not cracks after 2 years, regardless of the tire's age?

Tires also crack from not being driven very much. Something about the wax or something in the tire coming out. CapriRacer will probably let us know here.

The picture I supplied is just an example .it isn't what's on the car. But two years ago they looked perfect.

That's because two year old tires were brand new two years ago!
33.gif

Originally Posted By: surfstar

That's because two year old tires were brand new two years ago!
33.gif

I definitely looked 2 years younger 2 years ago too.

We definitely need the DOT code, maybe they were 3 year old NOS at time of purchase, and are now 5 years old?

http://www.barrystiretech.com/dotcoding.html

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back