Xterra Clutch/Transmission Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm starting to have some trouble with the transmission in my 2001 Nissan Xterra 4x4, V6, 5-speed manual.

It started a couple of days ago. I was upshifting 2nd to 3rd (as best I remember) and it started to grind, like you missed a shift/didn't push the clutch in. The clutch was fully pushed in, I couldn't get it in any gear, it would just grind like the clutch wasn't pushed in. Finally I shut off the engine, put it in gear and it was fine the rest of the day.

The next day everything was fine for about 20 minutes then the same thing happened.

Today I'm driving in town about 45 minutes and when coming to a stop, I pressed in the clutch and it felt stiff and the transmission started to grind. Turned of the engine, put it in first and drove home normally.

The truck has 192,000 miles and I'm the original owner. The clutch doesn't slip and the reservoir for the clutch is full. Until this started I had no problems at all, the clutch and transmission felt like new.

At first I thought it might be an internal problem with the transmission, now I'm thinking it's the clutch.

Any ideas? Thanks!

How about some new mtf? Honda had some issues with the Accord V6 manual that would grind. They had a tsb on it which was to use some AC Delco friction modified or FM mtf. Which did a great job of solving the problem. Sure beats taking the transmission a part.

Check level & condition of oil in the transmission, then check if the slave cylinder is worn out? first flush out the old fluid - cheap & easy.

Check linkage bushing, on the trans and shifter ends. They can wear out on either end and not allow for a proper gear engagement. Saw this on a JY car I was pulling the shifter for. Probably why the car ended up in the JY.

Last edited:
try pumping the clutch a few times then holding in, possible slave cylinder or master cylinder issue.

Had a ranger did same thing... it was the slave cylinder

this is a clutch related problem. it is not fully disengaging, which is why it won't shift in and out without grinding. it's also hck on the syncros-- shifting needs to rev-match as much as you can.

either the clutch disc is failing, or the hydraulics are leaking, leaked out, or have lost a mechanical bushing. Based on the mileage, any of the above are possible, and probably all of it needs to be replaced.

You did da** good to get that many miles out of a MT. Bravo.

-meep

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: meep
this is a clutch related problem. it is not fully disengaging, which is why it won't shift in and out without grinding. it's also hck on the syncros-- shifting needs to rev-match as much as you can.

either the clutch disc is failing, or the hydraulics are leaking, leaked out, or have lost a mechanical bushing. Based on the mileage, any of the above are possible, and probably all of it needs to be replaced.

You did da** good to get that many miles out of a MT. Bravo.

-meep

I'm thinking it's clutch related. I've checked the fluid level in the transmission, it's fine. The clutch pedal seems to have a slightly different feel to it. It feels just slightly stiffer and not as smooth in it's travel. How much is a clutch repair these days?

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back