rooftop cargo carrier

Status
Not open for further replies.
I need to purchase a rooftop cargo carrier (for luggage) for our '06 Jeep Liberty. I was going to purchase one of the cargo bags that have good consumer reviews, but ran across a deal on an X-Cargo Sport 20 (for sale by a private party, though the carrier has never been used). I hesitate, though, because this carrier is nearly as long as the roof as the Libby.

http://www.sears.com/x-cargo-sport-20-car-top-carrier/p-02872030000P

Looking for some guidance on choosing a bag or carrier that is appropriately sized for the vehicle, and even how important that aspect is. Any advice appreciated.

My only worry about it would be if the rear glass or gate would hit it when open. Other than that, I don't think it would matter.

I think the length isn't too critical, as long as the rear hatch doesn't hit it, like Wheel mentioned. You should have some wiggle room forwards and backwards, and worst case, it'll look a little funny with it sticking out past the front, which is still technically fine, I believe.

I'm also a fan of the hitch mounted cargo carriers. My Element is already fairly aerodynamically challenged, and getting gear from the back is easier than climbing up top, plus the hitch carrier is a little more flexible. I ratchet strapped a bunch of plastic bins and a cooler with no issue.

Before I bought the popup, that used to be my setup for camping with the cherokee. I could get 2 or 3 plastic tote containers on it along with the tool boxes and spare axleshafts / steering parts.

Have a look at your roof rack and see how sturdy it is. Usually they rate them pretty conservatively but give a tug on everything see if its obviously only good for the 70lbs or whatever the manual says. I've found the factory racks pretty beefy and good for double the ratings on my cars.
My BIL rubbed out their rooftop carrier in a parking garage on their Liberty too, so you've got to remember that its up there...

Originally Posted By: IndyIan

My BIL rubbed out their rooftop carrier in a parking garage on their Liberty too, so you've got to remember that its up there...

That's the other thing. No drive-thrus!

I have that EXACT rooftop carrier. It is decent for the price, even more so if you buy it like new from a third party. What sucks is you cant fit in parking garages, you cant go through a lot of drive troughs. It really screws up your travel arrangements. My advice is to try and fit everything in the car. If that doesn't work, then the rooftop carrier will work for you but just realize its limitations as to parking.

I took that rooftop carrier twice from Florida to Connecticut and back and it protected my items well. It's also easy to put up and take down. I can get it bolted up on the roof in under 5 minutes.

Ive always thought the Thule ski carrier type would be better from an aerodynamics perspective. Low and long, notionally easier to add stuff into from ground height...

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Ive always thought the Thule ski carrier type would be better from an aerodynamics perspective.

$700 vs $100. It's no Thule, but it will work for a few trips no problem.

I've got one of the rooftop bags and its worked really well when I've had to use it. They're only like $50 and made out of a rubberized material that is waterproof. The biggest issue with it is that you have to make sure to tie off the loose ends of the straps or they will annoy you to no end.

I have something similar to this:
http://www.amazon.com/Keeper-07203-1-Waterproof-Cargo-Cubic/dp/B00D9C2CDO

EDIT: Another bonus, they're a lot easier to put up/take down than the hard-sided carriers.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back