Valvoline conventional vs. ACDelco synthetic blend

Status
Not open for further replies.
Still learning about oil,on paper which of these two oils is better? I would be looking to compare 5w30 from both.

It depends on the application. If the vehicle's owner's manual simply calls for a 5W-30 which meets an API SN or earlier standard, both will be fine if you maintain recommended oil change intervals.

If the vehicle is a newer GM which calls for a DEXOS licensed 5W-30, then the AC Delco will be the one to use since it meets GM's DEXOS-1 specifications.

Last edited:
Dexos is a step up from an oil that doesn't meet the spec. Who knows if Valvoline. could meet the test if Valvoline wanted to test and pay the royalty.

Yep. Maxlife syn blend has a NOACK of 10.8 I believe. Which is very good for a synthetic blend oil. VWB is a fine oil in it's own right given many applications on the road. The Dexos blend is a fine product made by Exxon Mobil that has a crazy NOACK of like 6.something.. That result was from the PQIA test results.

I'd say Delco syn blend is better, just because it's a syn blend that isn't no-name. (Not sure who GM buys it from but they do have some reputation to be concerned about.) I trust Valvoline products as much as any comparable brand, but IMHO we have so many affordable, superior alternatives to straight conventional oils of any brand that I only use it in tractors and lawn mowers. However, I'd choose MaxLife over either.

Originally Posted By: Alex_V
I'd say Delco syn blend is better, just because it's a syn blend that isn't no-name. (Not sure who GM buys it from but they do have some reputation to be concerned about.) I trust Valvoline products as much as any comparable brand, but IMHO we have so many affordable, superior alternatives to straight conventional oils of any brand that I only use it in tractors and lawn mowers. However, I'd choose MaxLife over either.

GM may have reputation issues. The blender Exxon-Mobil does not.

Originally Posted By: NHRATA
So if I understood that correctly lower is better

(emphasis mine)

"Overview: Noack volatility determines the evaporative loss of engine oils. This test is important because the operating temperatures of an engine will typically drive off the lighter ends of a lubricant while in service. This effectively results in making the lubricant more viscous (thicker) which can lead to reduced fuel economy due to an increase in parasitic load. A lower number generally means less oil consumption due to evaporation when the oil gets hot. Volatilities in the red zone are above the required limit for current API gasoline specifications."

Thank you, I'm the type of guy that likes to double-check things LOL

Thank you, I'm the type of guy that likes to double-check things LOL

On paper the AC-Delco syn blend is a vERY good product. Nothing wrong with VWB either but the AC-Delco oil wins the numbers game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back