Delvac 1 ESP 5w40 has a sulfated ash of 1%, but with about 10 TBN

M1 ESP 5w30 has sulfated ash about ..6%, but with a TBN of about 6,

Better to run in a RAM 1500 EcoDiesel.
10k oil changes
B10 fuel
Hot Texas weather
Towing a 7,000lb travel trailer about 40% of the time
Longevity is a concern, I don't plan on trading it off for a very long time

Is that b10 fuel ultra low sulfur? If so, then esp 5w30 should make it to 10k miles and may be safer to your DPF, if your truck has one.

Yes ULSD and it has DPF and SCR.

I guess the other issue is that the Delvac 1 ESP is almost $3/qt cheaper than the Mobil 1 ESP after all rebates are taken into account.

Thanks

What specs does the oil have to meet according to your vehicle's owner's manual? Do both M1 ESP and Delvac1 ESP meet these specs?

M1 ESP meets Ram's recommendations: Fully synthetic 5W30 ACEA-C3 MS-11106.

But, you know it is a recommendation from RAM. It may include factors that I'm not that concerned with like fleet average fuel economy.

Originally Posted By: pb379

But, you know it is a recommendation from RAM. It may include factors that I'm not that concerned with like fleet average fuel economy.

Nope, it is not fuel economy factors, it is DPF and EGR issues.
M1 5W30 ESP first of all is heavy, almost 5W40 product. Its cst is 12.2, and HTHS is 3.58. It meets numerous other very tough specifications and TX summer is nothing compare to German autobahn.
I use it in my BMW 3.5d, and I drive car like I stole it. Never used a drop of oil.
I would use it with confidence.
I just bought 25qt of Valvoline 5W40 MST in NAPA for $4.99 a bottle. You can go that route but it does not meet FIAT MS-11106 since it is not 5W30. However this oil meets BMW LL-04, MB 229.51, VW 505.01, Porsche A40.
You could go with this oil since FIAT allows in its engines Mid-SAPS oils.
Here is pds of Valvoline 5W40 MST:
Valvoline 5W40 MST PDS

Originally Posted By: edyvw

Nope, it is not fuel economy factors, it is DPF and EGR issues.
M1 5W30 ESP first of all is heavy, almost 5W40 product. Its cst is 12.2, and HTHS is 3.58. It meets numerous other very tough specifications and TX summer is nothing compare to German autobahn.
I use it in my BMW 3.5d, and I drive car like I stole it. Never used a drop of oil.
I would use it with confidence.
I just bought 25qt of Valvoline 5W40 MST in NAPA for $4.99 a bottle. You can go that route but it does not meet FIAT MS-11106 since it is not 5W30. However this oil meets BMW LL-04, MB 229.51, VW 505.01, Porsche A40.
You could go with this oil since FIAT allows in its engines Mid-SAPS oils.
Here is pds of Valvoline 5W40 MST:
Valvoline 5W40 MST PDS

Interesting. The Valvoline SynPower MST 5W30 does carry MS-11106.

Thanks

The problem with valvoline 5w30 mst is finding it.
smile.gif

NAPA has it. Not in stock, but comes from a central warehouse in a day. The price I got was $144 for a case of 24 quarts.
I haven't bought it yet.

So how does Val SynPower MST 5W30 compare with M1 ESP 5W30.

The Val is $6 qt and the best I can find M1 ESP 5W30 is $9 qt.

NAPA has it. Not in stock, but comes from a central warehouse in a day. The price I got was $144 for a case of 24 quarts.
I haven't bought it yet.

I would give slight advantage to M1 5W30 ESP compare to V 5W30 MST.
M1 has higher flash point, slightly higher HTHS< and it is Low-SAPS which means potentially better for DPF if you do a lot of city driving. If you do a lot of HWY, then do not think that there is a lot of difference there.
Only reason why Valvoline 5W30 MST carries MS-11106 and 5W40 does not is grade. MS-11106 only applies to 5W30 grade. What is really important is SAPS level, and both 5W30 and 5W40 MST have same levels of SAPS.
Bottom line, if you car is under warranty, I would go with M1 5W30 ESP, or Valvoline 5W30 MST as second option. If it is not under warranty, consider Valvoline 5W40 MST since it is thin W40 of 13.1cst but HTHS is pretty good at 3.7cp.

I haven't bought it yet.

Yeah, price is working against M1. Reason I bought Valvoline 5W40 MST si that I found it ons ale for $4.99. If I could find M1 5W30 ESP close to that I would never switch from it.
Plus, Valvoline in NAPA is often on sale.

Thanks edyvw.

My truck is under warranty. The RAM powertrain warranty is 100k miles. I have 36k miles on it now. I've been using the PP Euro L 5W30 up to this point. It seems to be OK, but always looking for better, I guess.

Thanks edyvw.

My truck is under warranty. The RAM powertrain warranty is 100k miles. I have 36k miles on it now. I've been using the PP Euro L 5W30 up to this point. It seems to be OK, but always looking for better, I guess.

PP Euro L and Mobil1 5W30 ESP for me are one of the best if not the best oils of that category on the market.
I am more inclined to use bit heavier oils, so when Valvoline had sale of their 5W40 I jumped on it.
However, Euro L or ESP will serve you for a long time, and will do extremely well towing.
My brother made more then 200K using BMW OEM 5W30 on his 525d E61 (3.0l single turbo diesel). His car burned to the ground bcs. of bad wiring on battery. However, car was regularly hitting 140mph (this is in Europe) and after 200K did not use drop of oil and could still hit 140mph.
So, it is splitting hairs. We like to use best, we care about cars, but those 5W30 like ESP or Euro L are very heavy 5W30.
For example, new M1 0W40 FS has HTHS of 3.6cp. M1 5W30 ESP has HTHS of 3.58cp! That is what matter in turbo engine.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: buster
The Noack of the M1 ESP 5w30 was reported at 5.8% too. fwiw

I highly doubt that. That report is based on one Russian VOA.
M1 5W30 ESP is using VISOM base oils. It is HC oil. PP Euro L is GTL oil, and GTL proved to be very good with NOACK.
As for experience. I used M1 5W30 ESP in VW CC and VW Tiguan once each time. In both cases engine used half a quart in 3K. Both engines do not use any Castrol 0W40 or castrol 0W30 or M1 0W40.
So, I would say NOACK on ESP is really not that low.

Last edited:
^ good points, that could be true. Is it definitely using just Visom?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back