For those fighting the windows 10 upgrade...

Status
Not open for further replies.
lol.gif

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2016/04/28/windows_10_live_tv/

Meh...I have used every flavor of Windows since 3.x and W10 is the best of them. I am not a MS fanboy (I have my "I hate MS moments" at times), but I do not see what all of the complaining (other than perhaps being forced to upgrade) is about. It is stable, does not hog too many resources, and seems to be more secure than previous versions. It has a bit of a learning curve if you are coming from XP or even W7 simply due to the menus being moved around, but otherwise, it works.

Reminders are nice, intrusive pain in the rear stuff, not nice.

I shake my head, while typing on my MAC.

LOL. I have one W10 box, and it runs well. That being said, it's somewhat incompatible in minor ways with W7 and older OSes. For example, you can't do printer sharing with W10 and one of the older OSes. That wasn't a problem until W10 rolled around. MS is really trying to shove this down our throats, and we'll see, but I'm convinced that W10 will have an annual updates fee added to it eventually. I'm sticking with W7 where I can.

I disabled the upgrade at first. One day after my wife used my desktop I discovered it was upgraded to W10. She does not know much about computers and certainly did not consciously make a decision to initiate the upgrade. Now I'm glad it happened.

Other upgrades were trouble over the years but this one has just plain worked.

Luckily we don't get any of those silly msgs on our cash registers... They are still running XPsp3.( not talking about a small company either...)

I didn't want to upgrade, but I had a hate relationship with Windows 8.1.

Matching Win 10 up with Classic Shell menus, I am good to go!
Have Windows 7 Start Menus,
For once though, I do like MS Browsers. Microsoft Edge is pretty darn good compared to IE/Firefox/Opera/Chrome.

I've been reasonably happy in the Mac camp for about 10 years now. Recently they did something that makes me furious. They essentially force the user into using their photo import, browsing, etc., tool. So, say you have been using Picasa for years, now this new tool comes in and creates it's own thumbnails, then all those thumbnails are all automatically added to Picasa, etc. It is not easy to turn off this tool! I hacked it... but it makes me furious, enough so that I want to consider Windows again. (I know, I know... been there done that.)

I was relating this to my BIL who is "all things Apple", he follows their every move. This is so unlike Apple, to try to force the user into some particular piece of software. He looked at me with a more somber face than I've seen from him... "Steve Jobs is dead. That's all I can come up with."

Originally Posted By: camrydriver111
Forced updates = tyranny.

Right, because no other company would ever force updates on you. And Microsoft's motives are always bad...it's not like the new OS could be intrinsically safer or faster. God forbid if they actually release a product that is better than the one it replaces (or the past two, for most people).

frown.gif

I "upgraded" to Windows 10 and it ruined my computer. Literally nothing worked EXCEPT basic Windows functions, and the computer froze about every 45 minutes. I had to format and reinstall windows 7. I was not happy.

Mine just upgraded on its own...did not get a choice!

Lucky the computer can handle it...have to computers with W10..it's just okay...

Originally Posted By: crw
I've been reasonably happy in the Mac camp for about 10 years now. Recently they did something that makes me furious. They essentially force the user into using their photo import, browsing, etc., tool. So, say you have been using Picasa for years, now this new tool comes in and creates it's own thumbnails, then all those thumbnails are all automatically added to Picasa, etc. It is not easy to turn off this tool! I hacked it... but it makes me furious, enough so that I want to consider Windows again. (I know, I know... been there done that.)

Just curious - uncheck the box next to "use Photos with this device" and you should be able to continue using Picasa. It works for me using Lightroom - I only use Photos for managing photos taken with the iPhone and then they get put into Lightroom.

Originally Posted By: 2015_PSD
seems to be more secure than previous versions

Every version of Windows opens and closes a slew of security holes for hackers (hopefully for a net gain), but Windows 10 is itself an intentional security vulnerability. It's a suction pump for your marketing data. This is well-documented.

Originally Posted By: Ethan1
Originally Posted By: 2015_PSD
seems to be more secure than previous versions
Every version of Windows opens and closes a slew of security holes for hackers (hopefully for a net gain), but Windows 10 is itself an intentional security vulnerability. It's a suction pump for your marketing data. This is well-documented.
Windows does not corner the market on data mining. Every browser typically allows for cookies to be saved thus when you search for something to buy, adverts for those items magically appear in the sidebar. Free mail systems do the same. I am not defending MS, but for them to intentionally be a security risk would be an open invite for lawsuits--particularly in the litigation capitol of the world (e.g. the US).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back