Unreal tire set-up on '98 Civic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Had to see this to believe it. Female friend just got a '98 Civic LX sedan; a week after she got it the right rear tire went flat. Now the fun part.

Her mechanic---good guy but not a tire guru---suggested she get a 'quality' used tire for the right rear to match the others, then replace them all later if she keeps the car. She went to a used tire shop, they told her they did not have a used tire in that size and sold her a new one....a Mastercraft MC-440 in the OE spec 185/65R14.

Now the really fun part. This is where I get my first look at the car. (Door jamb says 185/65R14 85S.) She says the used tire shop told her the left rear needed to be replaced too, but she figured they wanted to upsell a female customer. Asks me to check it with my tread gauge....so yesterday I checked all-around and found:

Both front tires were Mastercraft MC-440, size 195/60R14, with date codes from separate weeks in 2010 and about 3-3.5/32" tread. No obvious cracks but had stuff stuck in what was left of the grooves that looked like old moss, if you know what I mean.

Right rear was the new MC-440, date code 4315, 9.5/32" tread, in H-speed rating and 185/65R14.

Left rear was a Kumho, I think KH16, in 175/70R14, with about 1.5/32" tread. I did not see wear bars stick out, but once I noticed the size and measured the tread I had seen enough. (I say I "think" it was a KH16 as I am near-certain that's the correct model, but I can't find it listed in that size online.)

So the car has tires in three different sizes; the rear axle has a brand-new lower-end tire mixed with a bald tire of a different size and model; and the front tires are 5-6 years old, low on tread and a different size than either of the rear tires.

The best solution would be a new set of quality tires and keep the new Mastercraft as a spare. Since neither the lady nor I could afford that, and IMO the situation is so bad it can't wait till DTD Memorial Day sales, I used my Firestone card to pre-order three Primewell Valera Touring tires in 185/65R14 86H to match the new Mastercraft on the right rear, of the same size and specs.

None of those is a high-quality tire but I figure it's way, way better than what's on there now---which I consider downright dangerous. (I told her to drive like an old lady in the rain to get to Firestone, and considered having AAA tow it there. She thought I was kidding.) At least it will be four new tires of the same size and spec.

Sorry to ramble on so long, but I thought the tire gurus here would enjoy this tale, in a horrified sorta way.

Meh, all 3 sizes kind of end up the sort of the same diameter atleast...
And even the 175/70 tire is better than the donut in the trunk.

I ran a front set of 195/45R14 Toyo UHP and my 155/80R13 snow tires on the back of my Neon for an autocross. It cured the understeer and then some! It actually was very fun and another guy did the same for the next one.

Here's another odd combo
The tiny 14" toyos at the back and some 205/50R14 R-comp tires at the front.

I wouldn't recommend driving on the street like this, but it shows how much front bias you have to overcome on some cars to get neutral handling at autocross speeds.

Just go with another new MasterCraft on the back to match and come winter, buy two more to replace the worn tires now on the front.

They are probably decent tires. Not a big name, but not a unknown player either. Part of Cooper Tires IIRC.

Originally Posted By: javacontour
Just go with another new MasterCraft on the back to match and come winter, buy two more to replace the worn tires now on the front.

They are probably decent tires. Not a big name, but not a unknown player either. Part of Cooper Tires IIRC.

Obviously not ideal, but I agree, that's what I would have done. 2nd new tire to match the RR, and replace the fronts with new as soon as funds allow.

The 195/60s aren't too far off from stock, but at least the PO matched the tires on the drive axle.

Very nice of you to help her out though. Maybe the flat tire was a blessing in disguise, much safer to have a flat than spin out in the rain on the highway!!

Any Walmarts that do tires nearby? Because Walmart has the Antares Ingens A1 in that size for only $35 each.

Yeah I'm not normally a fan of cheap tires like that, but someone in her situation, it's just important that she has new tires.

The tire shop probably wasn't ready for the liability of installing the wrong size tire on the RR. And, given the opportunity, would probably install the cirrect size on the LR ... and the fronts too.

Originally Posted By: faramir9
Her mechanic---good guy but not a tire guru---suggested she get a 'quality' used tire for the right rear to match the others, then replace them all later if she keeps the car. She went to a used tire shop, they told her they did not have a used tire in that size and sold her a new one....a Mastercraft MC-440 in the OE spec 185/65R14.

Now the really fun part. This is where I get my first look at the car. (Door jamb says 185/65R14 85S.) She says the used tire shop told her the left rear needed to be replaced too, but she figured they wanted to upsell a female customer.

Left rear was a Kumho, I think KH16, in 175/70R14, with about 1.5/32" tread.

The mechanic was correct in recommending replace left rear.

She needs to go back to the same place to replace LR with Mastercraft MC-440 185/65R14.

Being an idiot I sprung for four new Firestone Affinity Touring tires, on sale since it looks like Firestone retail shops are closing out that model. It's either the same or almost the same as the Firestone Precision Touring sold at TR (where it is highly rated and well-reviewed) and elsewhere, depending who you believe. A 70K mile treadlife warranty.

So she is set for years and maybe the life of the car. It was more than I wanted to spend and more than I could comfortably afford, but there were no good options. Had the situation not been so bad I might have waited a few weeks for the DTD holiday sale, but that would have required explaining the shipping/pick-up/install process to her....Life is too short, etc.

Thanks for the advice, gents.

Being an idiot I sprung for four new Firestone Affinity Touring tires, on sale since it looks like Firestone retail shops are closing out that model. It's either the same or almost the same as the Firestone Precision Touring sold at TR (where it is highly rated and well-reviewed) and elsewhere, depending who you believe. A 70K mile treadlife warranty.

So she is set for years and maybe the life of the car. It was more than I wanted to spend and more than I could comfortably afford, but there were no good options. Had the situation not been so bad I might have waited a few weeks for the DTD holiday sale, but that would have required explaining the shipping/pick-up/install process to her....Life is too short, etc.

Thanks for the advice, gents.
Discount Tire Direct Sale released today.

http://www.discounttiredirect.com/memorial-day-sale.html

Originally Posted By: IndyIan
May31_09solo.jpg
[/URL]

I drove that same car in college, put 185k miles on it and it never let me down. Tire size was 185/70R13, base Neons had 165/80R13 lol

Originally Posted By: Miller88
My Taurus came with Firestone Affinity tires. They were super squeakers!

I think the OEM Affinity Touring were pretty junk tires. The Firestone sold Affinity Touring and the Tire Rack Precision touring are much better tires. I have them on a Civic and they have been fantastic. I've had great luck with them in the snow and overall quietness in the past 20,000mi.

Originally Posted By: dishdude
May31_09solo.jpg
[/URL]

I drove that same car in college, put 185k miles on it and it never let me down. Tire size was 185/70R13, base Neons had 165/80R13 lol

I had a 2001 Neon R/T for a long time. Was also a great car. I miss it a lot at times. Almost never see first gens around here anymore. I'd love to have a first gen R/T coupe..

Originally Posted By: SLCraig
Originally Posted By: dishdude
May31_09solo.jpg
[/URL]

I had a 2001 Neon R/T for a long time. Was also a great car. I miss it a lot at times. Almost never see first gens around here anymore. I'd love to have a first gen R/T coupe..

Just a few left here too. It was a bit of a joke after my first few autocross runs in the Focus, my buddies were surprised how well it did, but I'd reply that it was "Ok but its no Neon!"

With some exceptions, Firestone tires generally don't do anything well but they still get the job done. You could do a lot better, but you could also do lot worse. My only beef with them is that they, while not expensive, do not offer a lot of value. I had a set of FR710's on my wife's Corolla and they were hugely unimpressive for what I paid for them. Never again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back