Valvoline 5W40 MST

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys,
I am big fan of M1 5W30 ESP. However, I have to order it online and price is $109 for 12ltrs.
Few days ago I was in NAPA buying DEF, and saw Valvoline 5W40 MST on sale. It meets all necessary specs. like BMW LL-04, MB 229.51, Porsche A40, VW 502.00/505.01. It is $4.99 per quart on sale. I was thinking to buy 20-30 bottles (I change oil every 5K and since I got BMW in the end of last October I put 17K, so would go through it pretty fast.
Anyone has any experience with this oil? Valvoline claims it is synthetic based and number are not bad at all: HTHS 3.7cp, cst 13.1, NOACK 10%. Valvoline is pretty transparent with their info, which is refreshing.
Here is the link:
Valvoline 5W40 MST PDS
So your take/experience?

Looks like a fine choice. I would never hesitate to run any oil that meets all those. You could probably stretch your OCI to 7.5k as well.

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
Looks like a fine choice. I would never hesitate to run any oil that meets all those. You could probably stretch your OCI to 7.5k as well.

Yeah, I could do it with ESP too I bet.
But, I run car really hard in mountains (still oil could take it).
And it is kind of stress release thing for me to just go under the car and do something LOL.

Im currently running it in my Jetta with a Boss filter (Dont flame me for the boss, LOL). Seems like its doing the job fine. Plus its pretty cheap. Bought it for $33 with the filter at AAP. Not to bad of a deal when I had to pay $60 for the oil and filter.

Originally Posted By: FordBroncoVWJeta
Im currently running it in my Jetta with a Boss filter (Dont flame me for the boss, LOL). Seems like its doing the job fine. Plus its pretty cheap. Bought it for $33 with the filter at AAP. Not to bad of a deal when I had to pay $60 for the oil and filter.

Well, I just bought 25qt of Valvoline 5W40 MST in NAPA, $4.99 per qt.
We will see how it does, I will post UOA after some time (just put M1 5W30 ESP in engine, so it will take some time).

I too am going to start using the Valvoline SynPower 5W-40 MST in my CR TDI and the others that I maintain. I have compared the specifications of the Valvoline XL-III that meets the VW 507.00 specification with the MST and other than viscosity the 5W-40 MST seems to be more appropriate for my application.

I will try to get in on the NAPA sale and purchase 20 quarts for my summer applications.

Originally Posted By: FowVay
I too am going to start using the Valvoline SynPower 5W-40 MST in my CR TDI and the others that I maintain. I have compared the specifications of the Valvoline XL-III that meets the VW 507.00 specification with the MST and other than viscosity the 5W-40 MST seems to be more appropriate for my application.

I will try to get in on the NAPA sale and purchase 20 quarts for my summer applications.

Actually, MST has bit more phosphorous, ash and zinc.
BMW allowed Mid SAPS oil and Low SAPS oils. VW is more stringent there.
I like that HTHS is 3.7 but cst is 13.1, so it is not overly heavy.

Last edited:
25 quarts? Dang... Thats some serious stocking up!

It MIGHT be 4 oil changes for the OP. I suspect his X5 has at least a 7 quart sump.

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
25 quarts? Dang... Thats some serious stocking up!

It MIGHT be 4 oil changes for the OP. I suspect his X5 has at least a 7 quart sump.

Yeah, almost 8qt sump. Also, contemplating to use it in my wife's Tiguan, but she makes 5K a year, so probably High-SAPS oil is better in the sump for all year around OCI. So probably sticking to 0W40 castrol there.
I change oil every %k, and make around 30K at minimum a year.

I'd do it. I see no need to hassle just to get M1... There are lots of good oils out there. It meets specs (lots) and that's good enough
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back