Mobil 1 0W40 in GM 1.4L Turbo

Status
Not open for further replies.
So my girlfriend has a 2014 Buick Encore with the 1.4L turbo 4 cylinder...same engine in my Chevy Cruze commuter car. The 2 year free oil changes are about to expire so its now time to do the change myself. I was debating going with the 5 quart Mobil 1 0W40 jug from Wal-mart since the car takes roughly 4.75 quarts that would be perfect. Also previous used Dexos 5W30 tests have suggested that the oil is basically all done in the turbo motor by 5000 miles. I would like to be able to confidently leave the oil in the full length of the OLM. What do you guys think?

Originally Posted By: Realfine69
So my girlfriend has a 2014 Buick Encore with the 1.4L turbo 4 cylinder...same engine in my Chevy Cruze commuter car. The 2 year free oil changes are about to expire so its now time to do the change myself. I was debating going with the 5 quart Mobil 1 0W40 jug from Wal-mart since the car takes roughly 4.75 quarts that would be perfect. Also previous used Dexos 5W30 tests have suggested that the oil is basically all done in the turbo motor by 5000 miles. I would like to be able to confidently leave the oil in the full length of the OLM. What do you guys think?

Much better option then 5W30 regular M1 synthetic.
That engine is designed for Opel cars in Europe and are specd. over there for heavier oils such as M1 0W40.
Also take in mind that m1 0W40 is very, very light W40 oil or if you want, very heavy W30 oil.

I'd run it in mine. It's run some closeout Pennzoil Ultra 0w-40 without issue.

Did the Buick engine get a larger oil pan? Mine takes 4.25 quarts. 4.75 would be very full on mine.

Only a UOA will tell you the condition of your oil with any certainly. Until then it's just speculation.

Probably overkill, I'd think any Dexos full synthetic 5W-30 would be fine for the OLM OCI. If you go with 0W-40, give it a few seconds more to warm up on cold winter starts.

Use Napa Synthetic 5w30 which is on sale for only $2.99/qt. It's rebranded Synpower and dexos approved.

Anything that meets dexos standards will be good for the whole OCI suggested by the OLM
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: bigt61
Probably overkill, I'd think any Dexos full synthetic 5W-30 would be fine for the OLM OCI. If you go with 0W-40, give it a few seconds more to warm up on cold winter starts.

Actually heavy 5W30 or thing 0/5W40 are specd. for this engine in Europe.

This is a 0w30 Dexos 2 engine in many parts of the world (Dexos2 is not just a diesel oil, only in the USA because of CAFE). A 0w40 or Dexos 2 5w30 will work well in it.
You will never find Castrol EDGE Professional Titanium FST C3 0W-30 in the US so use the 0w40.

I've used full syn 5w30 in my '13 Cruze since the 3rd oil change and, with almost 68K on the odometer, have no issues, noises, or oil consumption. Valvoline Synpower until 50K, then Schaeffer's Supreme 9000 since then. I used a 5,000 mi. OCI with the Valvoline, moved up to 7,500 (which resulted at 1% or just past 0 on the OLM) with Schaeffer's but after two changes am backing down to 6K-6,500 because it's seeing more city driving, averaging 3-4 MPG less with my wife driving it most of the time recently, and I'm seeing small areas of varnish starting in the top end.

Originally Posted By: Trav
This is a 0w30 Dexos 2 engine in many parts of the world (Dexos2 is not just a diesel oil, only in the USA because of CAFE). A 0w40 or Dexos 2 5w30 will work well in it.
You will never find Castrol EDGE Professional Titanium FST C3 0W-30 in the US so use the 0w40.

The reason why companies are not bringing more C3 oils is sulfur rich gas. However, it seems EPA will require next year for ULSG to be sold.

That's important, too, but I don't think many North American or Japanese OEMs would be jumping at a high HTHS C3 lubricant, even with ULSG. Nissan seems to allow it, but that's more a loophole in their wording than their likely intention.

Originally Posted By: edyvw

The reason why companies are not bringing more C3 oils is sulfur rich gas. However, it seems EPA will require next year for ULSG to be sold.

30ppm sulfur is hardly "sulfur rich". Pre 2007 Diesel LSD was 500 ppm sulfur till coming down to ULSD 15 ppm. The move from 30 ppm sulfur to 10 ppm sulfur in gasoline is like straining at gnats more than any appreciable difference. Just a way to add cost to the consumer.

Originally Posted By: TiredTrucker
Originally Posted By: edyvw

30ppm sulfur is hardly "sulfur rich". Pre 2007 Diesel LSD was 500 ppm sulfur till coming down to ULSD 15 ppm. The move from 30 ppm sulfur to 10 ppm sulfur in gasoline is like straining at gnats more than any appreciable difference. Just a way to add cost to the consumer.

Yes it is rich, and here is why rich and why it adds to cost of ownership of DI vehicle.
While most of drivers are oblivious what is under the hood, and some think all EPA requirements are the way for government to "get" them, it is a huge problem in DI engine applications.
For example, M1 0W40 oil that has (or had, we will see how new formulation does) stout additive package, in my previous car, VW CC, would get its TBN depletes from 11 to 2.7 in 5K. Now, it is not a problem if you change oil every 3K but it could be a problem if you change it every 5K and you use wrong oil which is often case.
500ppm is not a problem in indirect injected engines using High-SAPS oils. It is big problem in direct injected diesels and especially gasoline engines.
Technology is moving forward and people are buying cars that have new technology under the hood hat provides good MPG. Adding cost to consumer is that we have to change oils due to high sulfur gas much sooner then in the EU where they run 15-20K OCI's. Dividends of new technology. Only reason why diesel went from 500ppm to 15ppm is trucking lobby since high sulfur in diesels tarted to create additional cost to fleet. Unfortunately, regular drivers do not have their own lobby to fight XOM, Chevron etc.

Last edited:
Thanks for the input everyone! I did notice that Mobil 1 0W40 did drop the LL-01 certification. I wonder how the new formulation is going to be....

Originally Posted By: TiredTrucker
The move from 30 ppm sulfur to 10 ppm sulfur in gasoline is like straining at gnats more than any appreciable difference. Just a way to add cost to the consumer.

No, it's not straining at gnats. It's been done in Europe and should be done here. It makes life easier for emissions compliance. I realize that every time there's a formulation change mandated to gasoline, someone out there comes out screaming against it, and it's usually the person who is losing his gravy train, or, at the very least, someone who's unable to get a subsidy out of the deal. Those are the people who are sticking it to consumers, or would had they been given the chance.

I heard the same screams of disapproval with removal of lead, with different oxygenates, with ULSD, and the complaints are always pretty much the same.

Don't forget the Mobil 1 rebates going on until the end of the month. Super easy to fill out online, any retailer including Walmart, and 100% success rate pretty much. Makes it cheaper than non synthetic.

Originally Posted By: Realfine69
Thanks for the input everyone! I did notice that Mobil 1 0W40 did drop the LL-01 certification. I wonder how the new formulation is going to be....

You will find more the enough info on Euro section:
Mobil1 0W40 FS Tread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back