Why should i change the oil plug washer?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It depends upon the type of washer. If its a crush washer then it flattens a little when tightened. They should always be replaced. My favorite is steel on the outside, rubber on the inside. They only need to be changed when it looks torn up.

Or better yet a Fomoto value. Install it once and then just open it up to drain the oil.

ain't broke,no leak,reuse.They only go bad when a gorilla horses down on that drain plug.

I just changed the drain plugs on both my Sebring and the Impala because they have a built-in rubber washer. Could probably have just added a fiber or other washer, but they were cheap enough on eBay. I had Fumoto valves for awhile, but I found they didn't drain as fast or as completely, and they weren't any significant savings in hassle or time. I would stick with the drain plugs.

I reuse them unless they're cracked. I always put a little RTV on the threads. Never had a leak so far! (40 years of changing oil)

Edit: only for all metal crush washers.

Last edited:
I always use a new crush washer/drain plug gasket. See far too many Kia, Hyundai's and vw's blow up and that's a darn good reason to change it every time

My car is actually supposed to have a crush washer. Didn't have one on it when I bought it, and haven't bothered to get one. It doesn't leak a drop.

I always change it since a new one comes with the filter anyway, but I wasn't really sure why it needed to be changed. Figure there must be a reason they give me a new one.

I use a Fumoto valve so it's not really an issue but I might agree that the right kind of washer for the application and it's typical lifespan will dictate when you change it.

I've used metal crush washers for years and would only swap them out occasionally as they were near pristine after 4-5 oil changes. The fiber washers, for example, might be a different issue as there are variations on those that might react differently and have a different lifespan.

We are talking about less than 50 cents so why not replace it? Clips and Fasteners----15.00 for quantity 50. If you want to reuse that drain plug gasket for as long as you own the vehicle, go for it cowboy.

Originally Posted By: sasilverbullet
I always put a little RTV on the threads.

caution-youre-doing-it-wrong.jpg

daily_gifdump_04390_004.gif

Never even knew crush washers existed on drain plugs until coming here last year. Haven't replaced a drain plug or washer in 40 years of oil changes.

I could be wrong here, but it seems to me that the use of a crush washer is more about preventing the drain plug from becoming nearly impossible to remove, maybe not so much about preventing leaks.

I say this because on my 2010 Fusion, the first time I went to do an oil change, there was no crush washer on my drain plug, and it did not leak.

It was, however, almost impossible for me to remove. It was cranked down so tight, that when I tried to remove it using a standard socket and socket wrench, the head literally twisted and deformed but did not come out. In order to remove it, I had to hammer on an impact socket and use my breaker bar to remove it.

It was so messed up that this was the only way to take it off. I'm a little ashamed to admit it, but I continued using it for a few oil changes just like that, and was able to tighten it down sufficiently that it has not leaked once, even without a washer of any type. It always had to be tightened pretty tight, though.

It never really even occurred to me that it might need one until recently when I went to order a new plug.

I'll be changing the oil again in about 11 days, and I will be replacing the drain plug with a new magnetic one that I've bought, which includes a new crush washer. I fully expect that it will not need to be cranked down nearly as tight, and will still be leak-free.

Some drain bungs have soft threads. If you replace the aluminum washer from time to time, you will not be overstressing those threads.

My 4 wheeled vehicles all have Fumotos or similar. Before I started using those, I would buy a second drain plug to have available, so I could have a fresh (Or annealed) gasket already installed. Also.....If I dropped the drain plug in the drain oil, I didn't have to go after it, before I finished the job.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back