3 Mad Poncho's article on 3k mile OCIs'

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: HerrStig
Originally Posted By: FordCapriDriver
How can this be on BITOG? this guy is basically saying to change your oil every 3k miles or 3 months because of the simple reson of it being "cheap insurance"
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/3mp/3koil.html
Oil is expensive, engines are cheap, right?

That is the oldest excuse in the book, even my 40 year old Capri specs 6000 Miles changes

How can this be on BITOG? this guy is basically saying to change your oil every 3k miles or 3 months because of the simple reson of it being "cheap insurance" even in modern cars, i guess maybe he's a time traveller from a parallel universe that is still in the 70s
Oil univesity in on the site as well. Everything on the web site isn't automatically fact . It could be regurgitation on what some one read with out knowing what they read was fact or fiction.

3 Mad Poncho's is living in 1947 (back when they still made Ponchos
laugh.gif
)...

3K oil changes started dying in 1969 or so. Air-cooled VW's kept them alive through the 1970's. But these don't even have an oil filter...

If you have a problem with fuel dilution (like over-carb'd Drag Cars...), you do need to do this. But that's not for mom's mini-van, or your average commuter car ...

It's just progress. Some people move with progress or forge ahead of progress and some are left behind. I think this site gives you enough commentary on the subject to help you make a decision, informed or otherwise.

I went from 2K in 1966 very quickly to 3K and in the 70's went to 5K and now I'm between 5K and 10K. I find a UOA good for determining the condition of the oil and less so for the condition of the engine, transmission or differential. Yes, I drive an old fashioned style vehicle with a separate differential and my daily driver has a clutch pedal. For you younger drivers it's a manual transmission that requires the driver to shift gears but don't worry, you'll never need to know about that kind of stuff.

Oh it's satire? d'oh!

Besides, this stuff isn't really on BITOG. You won't find a link to it on the main page.

Yes, Satire.

On a serious note I have vehicles that get changed in less than 50 miles and vehicles that go 75,000 miles. Its all about the application.

That is the oldest excuse in the book, even my 40 year old Capri specs 6000 Miles changes

I have read Chrysler and GM owners manuals from the 50's recommending a 6K OCI.

3000 mile oil conventional oil changes make sense when an engine design is flawed. Toyota called for 5000 mile or 7500 mile oil changes in the 1MZ-FE engine, but people who did that often had their engine destroyed by sludge. People who changed the oil at 3000 miles usually didn't have a problem with sludge.

I think the MOPAR 2.7 V6 also needed 3000 mile oil changes to prevent sludge, but I don't remember for sure.

Turbocharged gasoline engines that allow for conventional oil should always get 3000 mile oil changes, they varnish heavily if the oil is changed every 3000 miles, so I am afraid of what would happen if the oil was run longer than that.

How can this be on BITOG? this guy is basically saying to change your oil every 3k miles or 3 months because of the simple reson of it being "cheap insurance" even in modern cars, i guess maybe he's a time traveller from a parallel universe that is still in the 70s

I saw this very article in the automotive section of The Onion!
grin.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back