Rotella T6 5W40 or M1 10W30 Ext Life In Jeep 4.0 ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a "hard headed" relative with a 2006 Jeep I-6 4.0L Rubicon who recently had the engine rebuilt at 96,000 miles (he's the 2nd owner) . Moving on , he is very lax about oil change intervals so I put him into a Fram Ultra oil filter with Valvoline 10W30 synthetic oil . At 7,500 miles of suburban driving I stsrted advising him it's time to think about an oil change . His reply was he was going to wait until 10,000 miles - then do an oil change . Needless to say we are in disagreement over the OCI - especially after spending good money to have the engine rebuilt ! At any rate, because he insists on a 10K mile OCI I'm thinking of either moving him into Rotella T6 5W 40 OR Mobil 1 10W30 extended life while still keeping the Fram Ultra oil filter ... Which oil would do better in a jeep 4.0L I-6 if you are pushing the limit to a 10K OCI ?

It's his car, let him do as he pleases. Just suggest it and move along.

10,000 miles is probably stretching it a little bit, but it'll probably be just fine.

Why was the engine rebuilt?

From my experience T6 will cut the gas mileage by one or two MPG.

I would go with the M1 EP 10W30.

Who did the rebuild? A local shop or a place like Jasper?

I would do a UOA with TBN at least once

Last edited:
Thanks - I provided the oversize XG8A (instead of the XG16) for my relative on the last fill - also I should have said : M1 10W30 EP instead of extended life . I hear reports that Jeep 4.0L's are not especially fond of M1 synthetic oils (noisy start up) , I'm just concerned with protection because I don't have to drive it - that's why I am asking about either Rotella 5W40 or M1 10W30 EP as best likely prtection for a 10K OCI ?

Amsoil XL series group III synthetics are spec'd for 10,000 mile/6 month OCI.

Or if he's really lazy (like I am :)) then Amsoil SS with an EaO oil filter for an annual OCI.

Last edited:
T6 definitely butts in on fuel economy.

I'd do Pennzoil syn for that 10k OCI.

I don't know but I switched my sons Jeep with a 5.2 to T6 and mpg came up 1 to 1 1/2 per gal.
got 17 Highway mpg last week on the road with it for 800 miles on sales calls

Last edited:
The T6 would be a better option IMO, if using M1 I would suggest the HM version instead. Pretty sure the T6 would more likely have a higher remaining TBN at 10k than the Mobil would though.

Originally Posted By: Nitronoise
T6 definitely butts in on fuel economy.

I'd do Pennzoil syn for that 10k OCI.

I don't know but I switched my sons Jeep with a 5.2 to T6 and mpg came up 1 to 1 1/2 per gal.
got 17 Highway mpg last week on the road with it for 800 miles on sales calls

I should have said that applies specifically to the 4.0. I got that too with my 4.0.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back