subaru head gaskets and coolant

Status
Not open for further replies.
i have a 99 subaru forester i know they r knowm for having head gasket problems..it is not leaking YET but i bought k+w fiberlock head gasket block and radiator repair was just wondering if i could use to PREVENT gaskets from leaking???? and if i can should i drain system and use subaru coolant or can i use other coolant???

Couple weeks ago I put one bottle of the Subaru coolant conditioner in my Oldsmobile to stop a radiator crimp leak, and it sealed the leak 20 minutes later. Picked up one 4.4 oz bottle at my local Subaru dealer for $2.07 total. Parts guys said to only use one bottle because that's what the mechanics used. The Subaru stuff is actually Holts Radweld made in England for Subaru. It's even in the same colored bottle, but with a Subaru label.

For this application, I would only use genuine Subaru "Long Life" green coolant and the Subaru Coolant System Conditioner (Holts Radweld).

Being a 17yr/old Subaru 2.5L, the HGs have mostly likely been replaced at some point. Almost a miracle if they haven't.

Last edited:
They will leak. The only fix is to replace them with six star head gaskets. After mine was repaired it no longer leaked, but then burned oil. I recommend getting rid of it when it does leak.

Originally Posted By: Dominic
They will leak. The only fix is to replace them with six star head gaskets. After mine was repaired it no longer leaked, but then burned oil. I recommend getting rid of it when it does leak.

A stock STi HG is also a viable replacement. It's what I've always used on them, it's a true 3-layer MLS, instead of the OE single layer gasket. And it's .06mm thinner, so there's the slight bumper in compression too FTW
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: Donald
What years was this an issue for the 2.5 engine? Hopefully not recently.

If its an EJ engine it may leak eventually probably. 2009+ are less likely to leak than older models.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back