OK to use? Toyota pink leaky container

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a gallon of Toyota pink coolant that I've had for probably 4-5 years now. When I was unloading after a move about 3 years ago, noticed the container had what looked like a small knife stab and made the container leaky. It's been sitting since, and is currently very dusty because everything in the garage is coated in wood dust from flooring installs.

My 2012 4Runner recently had its overflow go empty. The radiator is full, and what tiny little amount you can see looks very good. Should I drain & fill and use this leaky container, or buy new? The 4Runner has 46k miles on it, should I just top it off with the leaky container and leave the radiator alone?

I figure if it will last years in the vehicle it's fine on the shelf, but maybe a little worried about potential contaminates.

Originally Posted By: camrydriver111
Oh man, that's a tough question.

How much coolant leaked out of the container?

Not a whole lot, I don't think. I haven't opened the cap, but the container is still mostly full. It only leaks when handled/squeezed.

Originally Posted By: oilmutt
Put some duck tape over the hole to prevent any more loss of coolant.

Do that, plus use a coffee filter to strain it before you use any coolant for top offs.

Originally Posted By: JC1
Originally Posted By: oilmutt
Put some duck tape over the hole to prevent any more loss of coolant.

Do that, plus use a coffee filter to strain it before you use any coolant for top offs.

You beat me to it.....I wouldn't hesitate to use this coolant after straining it...

That sounds like a slow process to filter, but cheaper than another jug of coolant. To top off, I really only need a little bit as the expansion tank isn't very big.

Is it even worth a drain and fill at this time? The radiator looks new inside, what you can see in the little filler neck. They're rated for 120k, but I don't really want to wait that long.

Originally Posted By: MisterBen
That sounds like a slow process to filter, but cheaper than another jug of coolant. To top off, I really only need a little bit as the expansion tank isn't very big.

Is it even worth a drain and fill at this time? The radiator looks new inside, what you can see in the little filler neck. They're rated for 120k, but I don't really want to wait that long.

Duh, I can probably just toss a coffee filter in a funnel as I top off the coolant and be done... after I tape the bottle. I'll probably just wait to drain/fill at least until we get ourselves relocated.

The coffee filter in the funnel worked perfect. The stuff in the bottle was fine though, left no visible crud behind in the filter.

Sometimes it's too easy to over-think this stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back