GM Is Planning A Bolder Move Into Electric Cars ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
GM is tooling up to build the Bolt at its factory in Orion Township, Michigan. That factory was "saved" during GM's bailout and tasked with making small, fuel-efficient cars. That it does: Orion currently makes the subcompact Chevrolet Sonic and compact Buick Verano sedans.

Orion was also expected to start making a new small Cadillac crossover SUV soon, but here's where it starts to get interesting: That plan was scrapped earlier this year.

Could GM be planning a bolder move into electric cars in the wake of Tesla's stunning success with Model 3 preorders?

Think about this: The Bolt isn't likely to steal very many sales from Tesla -- it just isn't that kind of car. But what if GM is planning another electric car? What if it's something very different, something more Tesla-like?

Quote:
The Bolt is kind of endearingly homely, more functional than sexy. But there's no question that GM's design team can do jaw-dropping gorgeous designs when called upon to do so. We saw in the Buick Avista concept earlier this year.

Now consider: What if GM launched an electric car that looked like the Avista? What if it started around $40,000, with a nice interior in the current understated Buick style, all-wheel drive, some sort of fast-recharging capability, and thrilling performance -- for less than a loaded Model 3?

Think that would get some attention?

Should Buick Avista concept becomes an EV starting at $40k ?
buick-avista-concept-naias-2016_large.jpeg

https://g.foolcdn.com/editorial/images/205310/buick-avista-concept-naias-2016_large.jpeg

If the 2-dr coupe Buick Avista has a range of 200+ miles it will steal many Tesla customers. I would be the one placing an order for it and wait a year to take delivery.

Just make a good looking car with good driving range then no need to advertise and still have thousands waiting inline to get one.

Tesla would welcome the competition. So far they've had the long-range luxury EV market to themselves. And GM would be playing in a market that Tesla isn't in, so it makes sense. I bet they could make a sedan version of that coupe easily enough if demand warranted.

I hope for the best for GM and the thousands of Americans they still employ.

Yet the bean counters will still foul up their good products.

Originally Posted By: sciphi
Tesla would welcome the competition. So far they've had the long-range luxury EV market to themselves. And GM would be playing in a market that Tesla isn't in, so it makes sense. I bet they could make a sedan version of that coupe easily enough if demand warranted.

I don't know if Tesla would welcome the competition, but it would be good for consumers. More competition is usually result in better choice and lower price.

I like to have more choices, and I think Buick Avista concept coupe is a very good looking car.

The Bolt will be a good test of the drivetrain. They are already in Pilot production and then production later this year. GM could easily put the drivetrain under other sexier car body.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back