Cooking Iowa Chops-On Edge

Status
Not open for further replies.
I made some pork chops tonight for dinner; some nice Iowa chops that were marinated for most of the day. One of the twists that I use is to cook the really nice chops standing up. I'm surprised that more people don't cook them on edge-it's really the best way to cook a chop.

Standing them on edge allows the bone to transfer the heat and I don't get a lot of charring on the sides. Cooking the chops on their edge also allows the fat to render through the chop rather than drip into the fire. I also used up the last of the frozen sweet corn from last fall.

Both the corn and the chops take 20 minutes to cook, the corn needs turned every 7 minutes or so. One of the chops wanted to fall, so the corn is the perfect place to rest it so it stays standing up.

For the last few minutes I lay the chops down and give them a minute or two on each side, just enough to put some grill marks on them.

The corn isn't as good as fresh, but still pretty good. The chops are nice and juicy and the fat edge is nicely caramelized.

I do love grilling season.

Very nicely done Pop_Rivit! Do you smoke meats by chance? I have a weber smoker and weber grille. Thank you for making me hungry
smile.gif

I can't wait for sweet corn. The stuff I grew last year was so tender and delicious that I was eating it right in the garden.

Very nice! You seem to be quite the accomplished cook!

Have you ever tried grilling fresh corn with the husk on? For some reason it tastes sweeter to me, especially yellow corn, I love yellow corn grilled.

P.S. Did you get those chops from a butcher? Much nicer and thicker than from the grocery.

Last edited:
Looks good. Will have to try this. Ive actually just cooked beef this way tonight (primarily due to the size/thickness of the piece I was cooking) but not chops.

Interesting. I always buy boneless chops and pound them, so they are quite thin. That way they only need about 6 mins on the grill on high.

Originally Posted By: spasm3
Have you ever tried grilling fresh corn with the husk on? For some reason it tastes sweeter to me, especially yellow corn, I love yellow corn grilled.

That's how I do it. I pull the husk back,cover the corn with melted butter,replace the husk,put it directly on the grill with no foil,then grill to perfection!

My wife walked in and said she'd like to cook some up that way. She'd like to know what you marinated them in? Thanks!

Originally Posted By: car51
Very nicely done Pop_Rivit! Do you smoke meats by chance? I have a weber smoker and weber grille. Thank you for making me hungry
smile.gif

I've been known to smoke meat on occasion.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/2972672/Smoked_Pork_Butt#Post2972672

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...ops#Post3760393

P.S. Did you get those chops from a butcher? Much nicer and thicker than from the grocery.

My preference is grilling with the husks on, but this time the corn had been frozen sans husks.

The Iowa chops are sort of a standard cut around here. Most grocery stores carry them, although these came from our local locker.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
My wife walked in and said she'd like to cook some up that way. She'd like to know what you marinated them in? Thanks!

I just used a weak brine.

Im going to try cooking them like that. I find thick cuts are hard to cook well and stay tender and not dry. This seems like it might be the solution. Thx!!

Originally Posted By: Rolla07
Im going to try cooking them like that. I find thick cuts are hard to cook well and stay tender and not dry. This seems like it might be the solution. Thx!!

I have a suspicion that once you try the like this you'll never go back to grilling them on their sides. I sort of stumbled across doing it like this a few years ago, and I can't say that I've ever known anyone else to cook them like this.

I always thought about building a cooking rack to hold thinner chops up on edge, but never got around to it.

Very nice! You seem to be quite the accomplished cook!

I usually remove 1/2 outer husk. It is much sweeter that way than without any husk.

Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit
Originally Posted By: Rolla07

I have a suspicion that once you try the like this you'll never go back to grilling them on their sides. I sort of stumbled across doing it like this a few years ago, and I can't say that I've ever known anyone else to cook them like this.

I always thought about building a cooking rack to hold thinner chops up on edge, but never got around to it.

I will try this method next time. Grilling on the flat side is so dry.

Step 0: Buy inch thick chops. Any thinner, they come out dry. DON'T POUND THEM THIN!!!
Step 1: Buy an electronic instant read thermometer. $10 on Amazon for a decent Weber brand one.
Step 2: Grill on HIGH temps to caramelize and seal in juices
Step 3: Flip it over to get get grill marks on the other side
Step 4: Once the temp reads 140 degrees, remove from the grill and let rest for 5 minutes. It will continue to cook, increasing to about 150 in the center, during the rest period.

Enjoy the most delicious, juicy pork you've ever had. Cooking with a thermometer is ESSENTIAL to a properly cooked piece of meat. If you are not using a thermometer, you are overcooking it 98% of the time. New pork temperature guidelines are to cook to 145 now instead of the old 160.

Basically, BUY A DARN THERMOMETER!! Best $10 you ever spent, I promise.
http://www.amazon.com/Weber-6492-Origina...uct_top?ie=UTF8

Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit

Originally Posted By: demarpaint

I just used a weak brine.

Thank you!

Sure looked good Pop Rivet,,, Made me hungry but All I had was a half bar of soap and a crust of bread. lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back