The homogenization of cars

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thirty years ago, there were distinct differences in appearance between brands and national origin of cars.
You could still buy cars from France, Italy and the UK that were of indigenous design and appearance.
Japanese cars of the day were nothing like those built in the US and they had their own charms. Nothing from anyone revved like an early Civic 1500, even if it had no real power. In an 1800 lbs car, it felt fast.
Cars were heavily differentiated, so there was plenty of variety from which one could choose.
Almost any car could be had with three pedals, some offering that as the only choice.
Diesels were common, with Mercedes in the lead and others available.
All of these cars had distinctly different looks inside and out.
Nobody bought an Alfa for ride while nobody bought anything French for anything else other than great fuel economy.
The Brits still flogged old school two seaters while the Germans had the unmistakable look and feel of box Benzes and BMWs. You bought a BMW for the sporty engine and handling while you bought a Benz for the very compliant suspension.
Today, FWD is everywhere, diesels are rare and all of the cars in any given class look pretty much the same. They also seem to drive pretty much the same, although now as then more money buys more power.
For example, it's easy to confuse a mid-sized Merc with a Taurus.
Why does every car in each size class seem so similar these days?
What happened to diversity in look, mechanical elements and driving feel?
Maybe I'm just showing my age, but the days of cars that just look like they'd be fun to own and use seem to have passed.

My thoughts:

Aerodynamics is a big part of the reason the outsides look the same; gone are the styling departments that made vehicles "look like" a Chrysler, Chevrolet, Ford, or other make.

Heavy traffic* has caused the proliferation of the automatic transmission.

*[insert discussion about too many people in the world here]

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: fdcg27

Today, all of the cars in any given class look pretty much the same.

Why does every car in each size class seem so similar these days?
What happened to diversity in look?

Monochromatic mania shares a large part of the blame. It seems like sales lots are almost all white, silver, grey, or black.

Styling trends come along in generations.The 50s were long,low and swoopy.The 60s squared it up with some curves by the late 60s.The 70s started swoopy but finished up upright and boxy.The 80s started the same way then the Taurus/Tempo jellybean look came in vogue.And so it goes.... wait long enough and they will look more and more like spaceships than they do today.

Cars nowadays just look cheap and disposable. Cheap junky plastic everywhere and they all look the same.

Originally Posted By: Kuato
My thoughts:

Aerodynamics is a big part of the reason the outsides look the same; gone are the styling departments that made vehicles "look like" a Chrysler, Chevrolet, Ford, or other make.

Heavy traffic* has caused the proliferation of the automatic transmission.

I agree with this. Also crash standards play a part. With regard to diesels, they're still available and hugely popular in the rest of the world, they've been legislated out of existence in the US.

Caddy's look edgy. Fords look ... New beemers look like melted version of older ones.

My Saab is a jelly bean, but you can tell it at a glance in any parking lot
smile.gif

I think '50's two-tone paint was really cool. But how would you apply it to a jelly bean w/o any creases?

Aero is true, but jet fighters do not look like jelly beans. So there is more going on here than just aero... There are shared styling cues because the MFG's think that focus groups and partial panels judged as good/bad all lead to committee designs.

At least the French try to look different. Then we have the Juke, the Cube, and a bunch of other 1980's SiFy looking things that are not at all pleasant (to me).

A few subdued tail fins would not hurt the aero. You could sharpen up some lines. We are just in a "melted" state of mind
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
Cars nowadays just look cheap and disposable. Cheap junky plastic everywhere and they all look the same.

I disagree that cars are cheap now.

They are a lot safer.

They are a lot more corrosion resistant.

Yes, plastic is cheaper than metal, but I think cars are built better than ever.

Thirty years ago, there were distinct differences in appearance between brands and national origin of cars.

It's due to market maturity.

Automakers have closed the gaps between them and their competitors. For example MB used to be the king in build quality and engineering, but it's competitors have caught up.

Cars are also tailor made to the market they are sold in. For example Japanese cars like the gigantic Nissan Altima are made specifically for the American market.

Last edited:

Exactly...oh, and they might be "reliable" but they are NOT durable.
Two very different things, reliable things have a certain designed in life span and at that point they become junk. You must get rid of it and even if you could repair it, the costs are so high it makes it uneconomical, so you buy a new one....Durable cars might need repairs but their lifespan is far longer, and repairs when needed are inexpensive and economical...very few folks know the difference today.

The 80's Honda Civic CRX was a fun little car to drive. It didn't have power but it was small and light so it can dart in and out of traffic with ease.

I think the main differences between the 80's cars and now is it was much smaller and lighter then and without much electronics gadgets. Back then the infotainment was radio plus cassette then few years later radio plus cassette and CD(optional).

Thirty years ago was only 1986. I'm old enough to remember the common lament about cars then, that they all looked the same, etc., etc.

I also remember my mother complaining about that in 1971, when we couldn't find our 1970 Ford in the shopping mall parking lot.

If you didn't grow up with them, it's difficult to tell a 1931 Hudson from a 1931 Ford from a 1931 Nash, etc., etc., etc., without looking at the rad.

Plus ça change...

I find my eye drawn to those older boxy cars from the early 80s.

i087919.jpg

Of course, they all look alike, too.

It is my opinion that if you can't tell the difference between a Mercedes E Class and a Ford Taurus, you haven't driven or seen either.

Cars are safer, faster, more fuel efficient, and more reliable than ever. Styling changes and fashion comes and goes. If you like old cars, then buy old cars.

People will complain about any/everything.

Today's cars last longer, more efficient, and safer than what was produced 30+ years ago. Those old cars of 50s, 60s, 70s were junk compared to cars made today.

Homogenized? How?

A Jag XJ8 is as uniquely and quintessentially British as anything. A Dodge [censored] Cat is as uniquely American as apple pie. A Toyota Corolla/Camry/Avalon is as unmemorable as anything Japanese. The last time I drove a Citroen in la belle France, it was as French as any confection, and surely not enjoyed for it's "Economy". And any Ferrari, or Maserati, or Lambo, or Alfa is immediately identifiable and passionate as Italian.

Things have changed ion the last 25 years, but the differences are still there. The things that make them different have changed, but they are still there. Time to update your criteria?

Originally Posted By: Leo99
I find my eye drawn to those older boxy cars from the early 80s.

i087919.jpg

Of course, they all look alike, too.

Not to me....B-body Pontiac & a Cadillac De-Ville.

Last edited:

My Dad's 1978 Cadillac Sedan DeVille came with a bumper jack. You could actually jack up the car by its bumper. Full frame car with the steel bumper bolted to the frame. I saw one of those cars get T-boned by a train moving at full speed. All four passengers got out and walked away.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4

My Dad's 1978 Cadillac Sedan DeVille came with a bumper jack. You could actually jack up the car by its bumper. Full frame car with the steel bumper bolted to the frame. I saw one of those cars get T-boned by a train moving at full speed. All four passengers got out and walked away.

See you "get it" by differentiating between "reliable" and "durable".

Today's cars ARE reliable, but try diagnosing an electrical problem on a modern car...even with OBD II CANBUS the number of potential faults is literally mind boggling, and there is a lot of multiplexing as well, so unless you are a professional automotive technician with all sorts of expensive equipment, and training you are likely going to spend a FORTUNE to troubleshoot and repair a modern day electrical issue out of warranty period. Now compare that to a car from thirty years ago, all you need is a VOM, and less complication means less potential for things to go wrong, and less to check....Try replacing some of these hugely expensive electrical modules in a decade or so, IF you can even find one, the price will be astronomical!

Not to mention the endless amount of cheap plastic EVERYWHERE on cars today and clearly in places it should NOT be, like the intake manifold, and water pump impellers, the list goes on and on....

I'd gladly buy a brand new 1984 VW Rabbit GTI or Honda Accord compared to either of the modern versions.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4

Yep, those bumper jacks sure were dangerous, you use to read about people getting killed all the time when they crawled under the car and the jack kicked out and crushed them.

As for the guy with the Taurus and Mercedes problem, I don't see it at all. That only happens if all cars with 4 wheels look the same. There's about 6 generations of Taurus's, I can't think of any one that would look like a Mercedes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back