Windows Updates - Forced to Install by Mircosoft

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZeeOSix

$100 site donor 2022
I noticed that if I deselect a particular 'important' Windows update that it will automatically re-check itself the next time I open Windows Updates to take a look. Microsoft is trying to sneak the update to install the next time you power cycle the computer.

It's update KB3150513, which looks like something to do with upgrading to Windows 10. Microsoft is relentless on forcing Windows 10 on people it seems.

====================================================
Update for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB3150513)

Download size: 1.3 MB

Update type: Recommended

This update provides updated configuration and definitions for compatibility diagnostics performed on the system. The updated definitions will improve accuracy and help enable Microsoft and its partners ensure compatibility for customers who want to install the latest Windows operating system. This update will be offered only if KB2977759, KB2952664, or KB2976978 is installed on Windows 8.1, Windows 8, Windows 7 Service Pack 1 (SP1), or Windows 7 RTM.

More information:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/3150513
====================================================

Very easy to block the Windows 10 Upgrade with two registry keys:

Create the following key:
HKLM/Software/Policies/Microsoft/Windows/WindowsUpdate

New DWORD value: DisableOSUpgrade with a value of "1"

HKLM/Software/Policies/Microsoft/Windows/Gwx

New DWORD value: DisableGwx with a value of "1"

Problem solved.

This is the official "fix" from Microsoft BTW.

On this page is a batch script to uninstall the patches and disable downloading them in the future.

http://www.tweaking.com/articles/pages/remove_windows_nag_icon_to_upgrade_to_windows_10,1.html

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL

Problem solved.

THANK YOU. THANK YOU. I saw this approach some time ago and thought I'd put it in, but missed the second entry. It saves me from being on guard for KB3035583.
THANK YOU!
Kevin
PS - did I say Thank you?

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL

Problem solved.

Thanks Overkill!

Windows update has become a game of Chess with Microsoft. Every attempt to stop Windows 10 was countered. I just installed GWX control panel which is working so far.

Thanks Overkill. If I would have know what you know a few months ago it would have saved a lot of frustration.
smile.gif

Yup, GWX control panel works. I tried the keys overkill mentioned and STILL somehow got the icon in the lower right.

GWX control panel and I turned off automatic updates via system configuration.

I'm not turning it back on until the free windows 10 offer is done.

I would never swap Win-10 for Linux.
'll bet at least 15-20X more users use Windows over Linux. If Windows 7 or 8 made my computer run this good as Windows 10, I'd switch back to either one.

Don't tell me about privacy either. There's plenty of ways to make your Windows 10 computer more private. There are very good low resource antivirus softwares out there too (Avira Pro), plus free Superantispyware to boot cookies and malware.

Life on my Windows computer has never been this good. 10 runs perfectly for a handful of years now.

Last edited:
So if I "Hide" a Windows update, does that basically put it aside and the computer then ignores the update until it is made unhidden?

There are several Windows updates that allow the downloading of files. These files too are then rebroadcast from your computer. The GWX stops all the nonsense and frees up a couple GB of hard drove space.

Originally Posted By: Drew99GT
Yup, GWX control panel works. I tried the keys overkill mentioned and STILL somehow got the icon in the lower right.

GWX control panel and I turned off automatic updates via system configuration.

I'm not turning it back on until the free windows 10 offer is done.

Must have missed one, the 2nd key gets rid of the icon. I've created this as a portable reg file and literally used it on hundreds of workstations. It is the same policy you push out using GPO FWIW.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
So if I "Hide" a Windows update, does that basically put it aside and the computer then ignores the update until it is made unhidden?

In my case Windows installed it anyway. It was not hidden to Microsoft.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: MONKEYMAN
Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix

In my case Windows installed it anyway. It was not hidden to Microsoft.
smile.gif

Hummm ... don't know what happened in your case. This is what it says about hidden updates in the help info.

"Hidden updates are updates you've asked Windows not to notify you about or install automatically. To enhance the security and performance of your computer, restore all important and recommended updates."

Sounds like once they are hidden, the user must go manually restore/unhide them in order to install them. Guess I'll hide a few of the updates I don't want and see how it works.

If you are set up to not automatically download the updates, and if you go to the update page and hide them, they will not download.

I always look at the 'more information' link before I download an update.

Originally Posted By: Triple_Se7en
I would never swap Win-10 for Linux.
'll bet at least 15-20X more users use Windows over Linux.

It's actually much more than that; mostly because no one actually chooses Windows - It is installed automatically in 99.9% of non-Apple computers. In order to use Linux you have to go get in and install the OS, which most casual users would prefer not to do.

Factor in ChromeOS and Android and embedded software in systems running your gadgets, though, and even consider how you "use" Linux about 65% of the time you visit a web page; and now Linux is king of the world.

Linux usage for desktop users has hovered around 1.5% for about a decade now... Perhaps we're the original "One percenters"!

A well-maintained, desktop-focused Linux distribution like Ubuntu or Mint is far simpler to use, is infinitely safer and more private, is free and respects YOUR freedom, has no secret, mysterious back doors for anyone to exploit (the source code is open for anyone to see) and offers choices about what to do with your own machine beyond your expectations. It is easy for people to choose to use it, and it is even easier for people to choose not to use it.

Despite the fact that a lot of people are griping about how aggressive Microsoft is being shoving the Win10 update at everyone, I think Win10 is getting a pretty warm reception. I have had but a few chances to use it and found it - aside from its GUI being a complete ripoff of KDE - pretty stable and useful. My wife has an Office365 subscription through her school and I have been pretty impressed with how well Office's online service integrates with locally-installed applications. (I have also noted the development of the Linux-based Open365.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back