Falls City Beer

Status
Not open for further replies.
I havent seen it yet but from an article i read this morning "Falls City Beer unveiled its largest product-line expansion in the brand's history. The company is expanding its two bottled beer varieties to seven"

I am somewhat confused as to how/why.

I am not brand loyal on beer and usually try different microbrews from time to time, but yesterday for the first time I noticed a lonely facing of Falls City beer in 6pack form at my local rite-aid. The price was $3.99 for the 6pack.

That works out to .66cents per 12oz. can retail price. That is cheaper than bottled generic water...

So with the price of this beer below the cost of water, and almost nobody drinking it that i can tell...how and why do you expand the company?

I imagine alot of wages, trucking costs, brewery costs, distributor costs etc etc that comes out of this cheaper than water beer...

How financially can this be done? Is it a hail mary pass? Or could there be a new following for Falls City?

The trend i see is flavored beer...almost the whole beer section is clouded with watermelon cider or green apple raspberry whatever.

I am a fan of the old man beers (Pabst, Schlitz, Old Style, Schaefer, Strohs) but i dont think any of them will release a line of 7 more beers any time soon.

Perhaps it isn't selling well and about to pass it's "sell by" date, thus the low price. When the "kuel" set tires of their peanut flavored stuff the "old man" beers will still be around.

The Falls City Beer that you see today has no relationship to the original Falls City Beer other than the name. The current brand is a craft beer, while the original was just a run of the mill beer typical of the standards of the day.

In my opinion, the current owner of the name made a mistake in positioning his product under that brand. It does nothing more than invoke an image (right or wrong) of the old fashioned American Lagers, and does nothing to give the product a unique identity, especially with the younger crowd who tend to have higher standards when it comes to craft beers.

None of the beers you mentioned (Schlitz, Old Style, etc) are owned by the original brewers; rather they have been purchased by one of the conglomerate breweries. If I remember correctly, a Russian based company owns most of the brands on your list.

Again, in my opinion, you're seeing the owner of the Falls City brand drop prices in order to generate interest in their product. It may be a way to try to stimulate sagging sales, but in my opinion that's the wrong way to generate interest in your product. It may well hurt them more than help.

Most craft brewers can't keep product on shelves or in bars. At premium prices. Never heard of this brand. One store doesn't tell you anything about the overall picture.

Using an old name that came on cans of swill doesn't sound like such a great strategy for a craft beer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back