OIl filter holes too small on Fram Ultra?

Status
Not open for further replies.
After reading a lot of people like the Fram Ultra oil filters here on BITOG I have been using them with no problems on several vehicles.

I wanted to put one on my sons boat. It has a 454 385 HP Chevy big block in a 27' Formula.

He keeps it wide open most of the time.

The holes on the Fram filter are way smaller than the ones on the stock Mercruiser filter. They are way smaller than the other brand filters I looked at, at Wal-Mart. The Motocraft filter even has large slots.

Any flow problems with the holes that are way smaller?

P.S. The stock Mercruiser brand filters are really cheaply made in my opinion. I compared then a few years back to the old style Wal-Mart Super Tec. filters and they looked to be the exactly the same. I would not use one.

Thanks, guys.

Look up the truck filter and see if it fits. Fleetguard LF692/373 Fram [Ithink] CROSS REFERENCE The holes aren't too small and the slits are great!

They don't know what their doing and the holes are too small? They flow test the Hades out of these things looking to minimize for eddy currents and cavitation and such.

You are not qualified to even speculate on such things
smile.gif

Never seen a filter yet with the inlet holes measuring smaller area than the outlet, I will say Ive had good luck with filters with small inlet holes, and odd running with filters with overly large inlet holes on Subaru filters using the wix catalogue.

You're pumping oil thru the media, which hopefully has much smaller holes. It might not look like, but if you could calculate the open area, it's more than plenty. I've seen the numbers in articles, and was surprised at how lots of little slots can flow a LOT of oil.

I've been screwing Fram Ultra XG5 filters onto my Marine 454 engines for a while now. My 100+ hour UOA'S beat the 48 hour universal averages. Never noticed an oil pressure issue.

I wouldn't worry.

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
They don't know what their doing and the holes are too small? They flow test the Hades out of these things looking to minimize for eddy currents and cavitation and such.

smile.gif

Never seen a filter yet with the inlet holes measuring smaller area than the outlet, I will say Ive had good luck with filters with small inlet holes, and odd running with filters with overly large inlet holes on Subaru filters using the wix catalogue.
Who IS "qualified" to speculate.....you?

Originally Posted By: HerrStig
Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite

smile.gif

Who IS "qualified" to speculate.....you?

The point being is that they do test these things for many factors, the OP has nothing to worry about. See DoubleWasp post above.......

Last edited:
This is the XG3614, a larger filter than the other one. I don't know why the smaller filter has more and larger holes, maybe due to manufacturing the baseplate, the bending required. If the holes in either are measured and the total inlet area is found, it will be more than the outlet pipe inside area. So there is no restriction due to the inlet holes.

DSCN1060_zpsbalqwkro.jpg

I don't have one classic 350 or 454 that isn't running an XG5:

Three 454 Marine Engines
Two 5.7 Marine Engines
Nine 5.7 Land Engines

Countless more customer engines I have spec'd an XG5 for.

There have been no issues to date.

Of all of the PH5-class filters out there, many have quite small inlet holes. It's just a "thing" in that filter class, I guess. The Volvo Penta equivalent having some really spooky inlet holes. Guess what? No problems.

If you think that's scary, get a look at the internal diameter of the hoses GM uses for their oil coolers on those engines. 1/2" ID. That's it.

Also look at the internal diameter of the filter boss that the filter threads onto. Surprise, surprise: It's not as big as the oil filter outlet diameter.

After years of looking at these oil filters, oil systems, etc; the only conclusion I have come to is that fluid dynamics is a topic I should have studied a lot more.

I was curious about this situation too with regards to the holes in a MC FL-820s versus a FRAM Ultra XG2 (Ford Modular Engines). Although the FRAM inlet holes were smaller (but more of them), they still flowed more than the outlet. You should perform a calculation to see if the same applies to the XG5:

Baseplate Flow Calculation:
I3crmi.jpg

FL-820s Baseplate:
mc6v.jpg

FRAM Ultra XG2 Baseplate:
Fg1BmS.jpg

Even if the base plate holes total area is a bit less, all it would do is increase the delta-p across the filter a hair (1 or 2 psi at the most). The flow rate would not be reduced if the engine has a positive displacement oil pump.

But as others have pointed out, the total flow area of the base plate holes is more than the area of the mounting spud on the engine, so no worries.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Even if the base plate holes total area is a bit less, all it would do is increase the delta-p across the filter a hair (1 or 2 psi at the most). The flow rate would not be reduced if the engine has a positive displacement oil pump.

But as others have pointed out, the total flow area of the base plate holes is more than the area of the mounting spud on the engine, so no worries.

Is unfiltered oil flowing in going to flow the same as filtered oil coming out?

Originally Posted By: camrydriver111
Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix

Is unfiltered oil flowing in going to flow the same as filtered oil coming out?

Don't quite get your question. The whole nature of a 'full flow' oil filter is that what goes in at rate X also comes out at the same rate X. Of course, if the bypass valve opens up, then what goes out isn't 100% filtered. But if the bypass valve stays closed, then the oil going out is 100% filtered.

Quote:
The whole nature of a 'full flow' oil filter is that what goes in at rate X also comes out at the same rate X. Of course, if the bypass valve opens up, then what goes out isn't 100% filtered.

Besides, it isn't like black dirty oil goes in and out comes super clean oil only to repeat. The oil flows round and round all the time, so the incoming 'dirty' oil is only slightly dirtier than the 'clean' oil going out--I bet you couldn't tell the difference if you put both in glass jars and held them up to the light.

stigmund:
I put a smiley!
I've had flow dynamics in college. I still would not speculate as I have NOT tested or run flow vector analysis on a super computer. I've seen it done in the plastic molding industry where I worked for a while. That super machine with vertical stacked core crunched data all night to run a simulation.

OP is worried where he/she needn't be.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back