Mixing different grades

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Guys
Speaking to another workshop owner ,he mentioned he mixes oil grades for his own "special brew" .Any merits ? Or a monumental waste of time ? Obv his "brew' is a state secret , and would probably have to kill me if i knew it ...

If his educational history is in chemical engineering, especially petroleum products, I might listen. Otherwise I have way too many other issues than to be worried about mix a 'special brew' to lubricate automotive engines. I'll trust those who reserach this for a living.

It's fine to do this if you need a special viscosity. Several of the boutique oil blenders (Motul, Red Line, and Renewable Lube, to name a few) openly advise it on their websites. In other words, I could mix a bottle of Red Line's 5w30 in with 5w40 if I want something a bit thinner than the 5w40 but thicker than the 5w40.

Technically any API-certified oil must be mixable with another API-certified oil. It may not exactly be optimal, however, since you can get additive package "clashes". I wouldn't be running out and dumping 5 different oils in there, but if I needed to top something off or thin it out a bit, it would be fine.

The strong get weak and the weak get strong. I serves no purpose , It is like trying to get a 10W-35 instead of a 10W-40.

I just don't believe that engines are that critical on a particular viscosity. For instance, if a car calls for 5w30, I don't think it would EVER know the difference between any oil from 0w20 to xw40 assuming gasoline of course. So what would the gain be with, say, a 7.5w25 or 12.5w35?
If I was selling oil, I'd want you to mix it, put it on cold sores, change it every 2k mi, etc do whatever, as long as you buy it.

Agree on all the above points .Apparently it is common practice with motorbike workshops around here .Really dont see the point in doing it .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back