Stupid rust.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Having lived in the midwest my entire life and worked on countless cars i've learned about rust. How it kills everything, making exhaust bolts that start off as 15mm into like 11mm. Simple jobs that take 30 minutes turn into 2 day projects because of rust.

But never did i see it coming from spring clamps.

These things...
l-spring-band-light.jpg

I recently did 2 radiators, the lancer and maxima. They both had a crack at the top plastic parts, and both were automatic trans. So there are spring clamps holding the hoses going to the cooler. Simple pliers will get these off, done it millions of times. I grab them squeeze and NOTHING. Rust ate the tabs off.

Pretty much spent extra 10-25mins trying to wedge something in there and not damage the hose. Its not the worst of my stories or the ones i've heard but this one i feel shouldn't even happen.

So now i've switch to band clamps. I figure if i need to do it again, it will be rusted again but both cars will be dead by then.

Interesting solution. I've never seen a spring clamp rot away either.

Originally Posted By: Kuato
Interesting solution. I've never seen a spring clamp rot away either.

Thats what i'm saying. And these are factory clamps not aftermarket. My 10 years ive never seen issues like those type of clamps. 3 out of 4 i had the shove a screwdriver and try to pop them off or sidecutter.

powergrip clamps look interesting. So its like a giant heat shrink. How do you remove? Cut off?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back