Best oil for 2GR-FE?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2007 Lexus ES350, with 76000 easy driven miles.
Since 55000 miles I use Amsoil Signature 0-30, but now I would like to switch to M1 0-20 AFE.

Is that a good idea? If not, which is the best oil for this engine?

Thanks.

Because Toyota says this engine can run od 20 oil, and I am sure that this engine is louder on Amsoil 0-30.

My CPA and good friend of mine has the same car..his has right at around 300000 miles and gets his oil changed every 7000 or so miles usually at walmart or jiffy lubes. I dont think that motor cares what kind of oil you use. I have ridden in it and its like a silky sewing machine.

Don't bother going to an xw20 anything, even if its back spec'd its for Toyota's benefit only not your engines. A good 5w30 0w40 works well with these engines.

Originally Posted By: BIMMA
Since 55000 miles I use Amsoil Signature 0-30, but now I would like to switch to M1 0-20 AFE.

Thanks.

I have that engine in a 07 Toyota. I have run M1 0w20 and TGMO 0w20 plus various 5w30's (orig spec) with no issues. I even ran M1 0w40 straight up and the Caterham blend once or twice and did UOA's that looked fine. I currently have some of that mystical hard to find Pennzoil Ultra 10w30 in the sump now and it is probably one of the quietest ones yet.

I have 2GR-FE in 2010 Avalon doing good on M1 EP 5w-30.

See UOA:
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/3964853/Searchpage/1/Main/247038/Words/Bebop367/Search/true/2010_Toyota_Avalon,_M1_&qu#Post3964853

Either will probably work fine, but the oil type and oil grade is the least of your concerns with the early 2GR engines. Timing cover leaks, camshaft housing oil leaks and water pump failures should be on your radar.

If this is the same motor as my 2009 camry, its speced for 5w30.

And yes, oil doesn't matter but that water pump failure is getting a little more common

Originally Posted By: BIMMA

Thanks.

Originally Posted By: Trav
Don't bother going to an xw20 anything, even if its back spec'd its for Toyota's benefit only not your engines. A good 5w30 0w40 works well with these engines.

OP said that "easy driven miles", I took this as the engine rarely see 5-6k RPM and highway speed is probably no more than 85-90 MPH and engine speed is probably no more than 2.5-3.0k RPM. Then the oil temperature is probably never above 200-210F, and since Toyota back-spec to xW20 then it will be sufficient.

I am using xW20 in my E430 instead of M1 0W40 for about 7-8 years already, the engine is running very smooth and no oil consumption at all. The reason I use xW20 is this car is it rarely sees RPM above 2600-2800, so I think oil temp is probably no higher than 200F, the coolant temp is actually lower with xW20 at 82-85F instead of 88-90F on highway at around 80-85 MPH.

Sorry but if your car was for sale and I was a potential buyer I would pass without a second thought if you told me that. I guess that tell you what I think of your oil selection choice.
lol.gif

Originally Posted By: The Critic
Either will probably work fine, but the oil type and oil grade is the least of your concerns with the early 2GR engines. Timing cover leaks, camshaft housing oil leaks and water pump failures should be on your radar.

All has been done including VVT all metal hose.

Last edited:
Trav.....what makes you such an authority on engine lubrication (not mechanics.....but lubrication)?

Any special schooling in that area?

You seem to come out regularly against using 0w20.....when there a millions of vehicles (with no issues) on our highways every day.

Get over it....times have changed.

Originally Posted By: Trav

+1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back