Illiterate citizens

Status
Not open for further replies.
Most females in school are not fond of taking math or science classes but this is ridiculous, how an adult female is not able to recognize differential equation baffles me.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/ramp...irlines-flight/

art_menzio4.jpg

What is your first impression when you see the cryptic writing above?

Well as for myself, seeing the Pi sign, would make me think it is some sorta math. But then I bet there is plenty of math involved in bomb making. Of course, I have very little idea of how to make a bomb, and probably even less knowledge of math past basic grade school stuff. I am not dumb, just old, and wasn't required to take any math classes in high school past freshman. Went from high school to trade school for mechanics, and at least in those days (way before computers) You didn't need much math to repair engines.

Looks like gibberish to me. I even took differential equations too, but I didn't go far into them.

To be fair, whatever those equations are describing / modeling, they would only be recognizable to someone in that field. Not sure why pi would be used as a variable, nor pi prime... or is that some other symbol?

I'm not exactly sure who would think someone would sketch out bomb plans in public daylight. Nor think that high level math would be required for simplistic homemade ones. Maybe she was just weirded out by someone doing something that looked like work, on paper of all things--why wasn't he on a smartphone posting about his boarding on Facebook? That was probably the issue.

The use of exponentials, brackets, +, -, & = signs and pi symbols should be enough for a person who only has a basic understanding of mathematics to recognize this "language" for what it is. I have to travel quite a bit (some years more than others) and much like the professor who was accused on that flight there are plenty of times that I do not wish to engage in conversation with Chatty Cathy or Blabbermouth Bob who just happen to be sitting next to me.

Geesh......perturbed by math way over her head. Not even worthy of a blonde joke. It's obvious she'd never been in a sorority either.....

" A lie can get half way around the world, before the Truth can ever get its boots on." - Mark Twain.

Originally Posted By: 2015_PSD
The use of exponentials, brackets, +, -, & = signs and pi symbols should be enough for a person who only has a basic understanding of mathematics to recognize this "language" for what it is. I have to travel quite a bit (some years more than others) and much like the professor who was accused on that flight there are plenty of times that I do not wish to engage in conversation with Chatty Cathy or Blabbermouth Bob who just happen to be sitting next to me.
+1

I'm no math genius, I've taken a couple Calc classes at the college I attend. Even in high school, I would have easily been able to glance at those problems and see it's math. Some people are just idiots.

Originally Posted By: Trav
This so called article is just another cheap political hit piece.

01.gif

What sets this forum apart is that it is not overrun by SJWs, only one or two have wandered on to here with any kind of footing. "What that means is:" Bob Is The Oil Guy is not utilized as a tool of the Social Justice Warriors, all of whom are obsessed with the party line of the LGBTQ ([censored], Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, [censored]) overly sensitive and politically correct party affiliation, and therefore not a puppet of nothing but fluff pieces, pie interviews, half truths, and hyped reporting used to further the agenda of a favorite candidate or advancement of ideas... At 6 months before votes are cast in the most recent "worst election ever" until the next one, it will only get uglier and more outrageous - especially on topics like guns and gender discriminations, check out AOL click-baits also Yahoo and you get the idea.. - other forums do not have ANY kind of intelligent discussion as BITOG does, and simply single out and marginalize anyone that opposed the extreme Progressive agenda. At least here, there are enough old-school firearms owners and business owners that a party line may be towed and some are behind the times, though the forum doesn't look like a dumbed-down pro-anything board, and that is a very good thing.

There is really only one or two on here, and they are relegated to hit and run, with whatever superior opinion they have. Very good. They don't control it. Excellent.

I've left several forums due to nothing but car owners and high school kids pretending to be adults using non-stop profanity, and dictating what was cool and deciding who was worthy of being responded to and other such things that signified total lack of intelligence.

I would say the same about people who don't understand something as simple as C#, Cobol or JavaScript. How an adult male can get through life without knowing even basic coding baffles me.

Originally Posted By: andrewg
I have virtually no clue what you've posted. That's how advanced my math skills are...or whatever it is.
same here.I had the same mathbook,the one with clocks on the front for all my 13 school years

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back