Would you purchase a $400 car?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would, particularly to resell. However, I wouldn't do it if my sole purpose was to drive myself and the rest of the BITOG community insane with bizarre tales of masochistic mechanical adventures.
wink.gif

Not sure what all the mystery is about and I haven't read the entire thread, but yes I would and have bought cheap cars. One of the best I ever owned cost me $200 and I drove it for two years, running about 30k per year, and then resold it to the previous owner for the same $200 I paid for it. Cheap cars can be the absolute cheapest way to purchase and own a car, if you know what you are doing. If you have to ask, I would skip it.

By all means purchase it Joseph, GearheadTool, or whatever you call yourself this week. The forum needs the comic relief of your antics with another of your junk vehicles. Post lots of pictures and ask for advice that you never intend to follow. We should also take a poll to bet on how long before you implode again.

You've been given all the advice you need in your past posts, but you have never taken any of it. There is no reason why this time and this username should be any different for you. You won't change; you'll continue doing the same thing over and over and eventually end up in the same position that you've ended up in with every other pile of junk you've purchased or speculated about purchasing.

Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit
By all means purchase it Joseph, GearheadTool, or whatever you call yourself this week. The forum needs the comic relief of your antics with another of your junk vehicles. Post lots of pictures and ask for advice that you never intend to follow. We should also take a poll to bet on how long before you implode again.

You've been given all the advice you need in your past posts, but you have never taken any of it. There is no reason why this time and this username should be any different for you. You won't change; you'll continue doing the same thing over and over and eventually end up in the same position that you've ended up in with every other pile of junk you've purchased or speculated about purchasing.

I'm not engaging this, beyond this post. "Mystery." Yeah. Well, its for posts such as this, as pompous as they may be in an otherwise fine thread..

You've been taking a good number of little jabs at me today. Nothing serious or horrible, but the implied tone and general manner of making fun of is there. And I haven't been responding. This is the only post like this in the thread, pretty much.. You've tried to incite in others. So I'm very limitedly responding to you, because that's always how it starts, you play the "fine upstanding spotless blameless perfect citizen" card, but not this time.

Im not blowing up to you, but. I'm not the problem. That comes from within.

Re-read my last post, two posts back. It ends with: "The road won, for now." Posted from a shelter. I could throw up a pic, sure. But that wouldn't mean anything to you, would it.

I dont care who you think I am, whether youre an SJW (Social Justice Warrior) or not. And, dare I say it.. You're wrong.

Now, all that said, and before about a dozen of your henchmen - hitmen? That take posts like this as an invitation to get nasty - try to turn this into something its not.. Youre one of the only dedicated to turning this thread intonsomething its not. Im not elaborsting further. The deterioration and decline will NOT happen, as you want it to. I say again, examine thyself..

Im at the shelter. Wow.. Living here.. With a plan.. For awhile now. Continuing on, on the path set before me.. Up, and out.. And are you happy? You proud of me? .

IF YOU MUST, start a thread about your topic..

And you have a good day.

I will put up image so you can see. Even if its off topic for here.

Originally Posted By: bullwinkle
Nothing more expensive than a cheap Mercedes

Yes there is, a cheap Audi. That one burnt me.

Had a mate burnt by a cheap BMW 7 series and another mate burnt by a Volvo Turbo.

Anything from Europe, no way.
From Japan, yes.

In Australia, the old Ford Falcons seem to be made of rock and work forever.

They technically let you have a car while here. When I first came, I had one. That one is somewhere else now.

If I'm on a bus, then... The road won.

For now.

Focus on need...

jKbQY3p.jpg

Dg1tGdr.jpg

Seconds tonight.
smile.gif
Pretty good.

Apologies, if I just blew your minds. Sometimes, it "clicks." WHO is happy for me.

Any advice on "flip cars?"

I encourage you to prove me wrong. Get your life straightened out, get your head on straight and make something of yourself. Follow the advice of the many people here who have given you good, solid advice; not only for vehicles but life advice too. Spend a minute and get your life priorities in order (hint-a $400 junker shouldn't be on your list).

You fall into the same pattern every time you get banned and with every new username you return under. How many usernames has it been so far? 8? 10? More? It's the same thing over and over.

Perhaps with a bit of goading you'll change, but I sincerely doubt it. I challenge you to prove me wrong, and if you do I'll be the first to admit that I was wrong about you. However, I'm not to worried about that; what will it be Joseph (or GearheadTool, TurboLemming or whatever you call yourself this week)? Are you up to the challenge?

Originally Posted By: Turbo_Lemming
^ These two posts.. (car51 and the one above it)

Ok. This car is two years newer and has a better shifting trans (no solenoid issue) than a recent car.. Of mine.. Ok.. Think. Think. Think hard.. Its also got 40k less miles.

Now, we have created the situation where I have been given advice.. (EXPLICIT, CRYSTAL CLEAR, BLATANT ADVICE) to NOT buy.. And I sort of already have it figured to work in, without getting into trouble in any way, and also to discover a car in better shape than mine..

To wit, every prediction of car doom has actually come to fruition. (Except for one, and that IS an American car. Think 0W-20 oil debate.) I'm on a road to recovery, I really am.

Maybe, if seller holds the car until Friday,.it will be the distraction I need to maintain the course. SINCE IM TAKING THE BUS TO WORK FROM A HOMELESS SHELTER.

Maybe, in that sense, it will work.

Or.. I could still not buy the car. I need to think about this.

OR.. My friend could buy it, it could be his, and I'll just tool and fool with it and never talk about it until something happens, maybe even discovering a simple way to fix its knock and turn it into a $1500 or so car due to the dent and hood. For that option, press 3 on your touch-tone keypad.

I am also pleased that this thread has incorporated non-this car. Excellent, and well done.

I'm getting back to eat the free food now.. I work hard and enjoy my weekend rest, this will be the last free weekend I have. This job gives out extra time, if you want it. And I want it all. That engine in Nevada.. Heh. Yeah.

You watch.. I'll be set up, self-sufficient, to the point I can resolve some outstanding things (this in collaboration with my father. That is new ad of two or three weeks ago) and have a towing car, and a fun car, and get to being working on the side.. This could turn out greatly. Maybe even before the end of the year.

It starts with me working. Tooling around with this thing in a parking lot on weekends sounds good too. And the $400 car runs better than mine...

If I win this bet, and it DOESNT blow. Then what do I win?
smile.gif

The "0w-20 oil debate" was you putting enough Wizards in a Can into an engine that did not need said Wizards in any way shape or form that resulted in it spinning a rod bearing. That was after you drove it on the rim until the rim disappeared and then you drove it on the brake rotor on the bloody freeway.

This was the Expedition you murdered. And yes, I remember because every stupid thing I told you not to do with that vehicle, you did. Because your ability to not follow advice is only eclipsed by your constant starving for attention.

It was a 1969 De ville. The guy offed himself with garden hose on exhaust to inside car in garage. So really no mess in the car. Little smelly, 80% my imagination. Small towns in Pennsylvania, everybody knows and wouldn't buy it. Little creepy driving it at night by myself. I wouldn't want to look in the rear view mirror. My wife wanted to buy a house in Florida where a guy committed suicide and this was with a gun and there still was a mess. I said no way, didn't care how good the deal was. So I have my limits. Houses carry more ghosts then cars with me.

Last edited:
I always get cheap cars, in the last year I paid $200 for a Toyota Levin and $500 for a Volvo 850 T5, both needed radiators, and a few other things. The Levin now owes me $400 and the Volvo owns me $1000 now, both are worth at least what they owe me.

BOB IS THE OIL GUY

5 minutes 22 seconds ago
Which 0W20 for better high temp protection
by Spudislander
Pop_Rivit: You betcha.

Not sure what to say to OVERKILL.. He seems to also be stuck in the mud on things. But he's a BITOG main hitter(>y<)so.. I'll just say "tough crowd" on him, and leave it at that, the cliffhanger of the challenge you issued, Pop.

But, hey, I'm supposedly an idiot.. Nobody wants to acknowledge my interest in oil, BITOG theory, real world application..
21.gif

Let's see.

I'm gonna go to sleep now. I now post up how I somehow talked myself out of getting the $400 car. Of course, there are other vehicles both old and new from present and previous in my mid to distant future.

Originally Posted By: Turbo_Lemming
Originally Posted By: car51
Joseph: everyone is offering you advice. I saw that car on the craigslist link and it's not pretty. My Volvo technician/old roommate said "he is a fool if he buys that". We are trying to help you so take the advice and look for a older cavalier or maybe Saturn

Originally Posted By: exranger06
You're living at a homeless shelter? I'd say your first priority should be getting a place to live, before buying ANY car. Continue to take the bus to work until you get a place to live, and continue to take the bus after that until you can afford a GOOD car.

Originally Posted By: Ramblejam
Originally Posted By: exranger06
You're living at a homeless shelter? I'd say your first priority should be getting a place to live, before buying ANY car. Continue to take the bus to work until you get a place to live, and continue to take the bus after that until you can afford a GOOD car.

That's exactly correct.

As I already said...

Want isn't a luxury you have, Joseph. You must think need.

Focus on need, and eventually, you can have want.

Ok.

It looks like I won't get this car.

Never thought I'd be taking the bus, but. Maybe it had to happen this way.

Yes, I'm at the homeless shelter.

Yes, I'll go see if they are serving dinner.

Yes, I'll fill in cptbarkley via PM.

Then I'm gonna go back to sleep.

If this is what I must do... So be it.

I'm sure I'll have fun in getting a roadworthy car.. Somehow. Maybe a goal.

And I'm about 97.5% sure it will be very similar to this one. In the meantime: Bus.

I fought the road, and FOR NOW, the road won..

Depends upon the car, what it needs and whether it's something I'd want to drive.
It also depends upon one's risk tolerance as well as one's ability to accept the potential financial loss.
As many have indicated above, there are good cheap cars to be had.
As others have noted, there are also money pits to be avoided.
Any cheap Euro car may be something to avoid unless you know the make well or have a buddy who does.
A knocking engine is a pretty obvious signal that the car is one to run from, unless you happen to have a spare laying around or know where you can get one cheaply or you intend to open up the existing engine and see whether all it needs are new rod bearings, which seems unlikely.
With yards increasingly offering their wares through third party online sites, the market inefficiencies that used to make good deals on expensive parts from yards out in the sticks easy are rapidly disappearing.

Not for profit or any idea of flipping it.

I hope you get your life together. Many strikes against you like criminal record, adhd?. Hopefully you can overcome.

I think the answer to the question must include consideration of the context.

I have bought a $400 car. Actually, it was a $250 car. A 1970 Fairlane wagon,,bought in 1990. It needed some work (rear springs among that work) but had a good 302 2bbl and C4 auto. I drove it from North Jersey to Virginia Beach the day I bought it.

You can't answer the question without knowing:

1. Intended use for the car.
2. What is wrong with the car.
3. Mechanical skill of the buyer.
4. Buyer's budget for repairs.
5. How soon the car has to be ready for its intended use.

It makes no sense to buy a $400 car if you don't know what's wrong with it, or if you can't repair it (due to budget, tools, or skills) or if you need it in service for daily transportation right away.

I fixed up that Fairlane, and drove it for five years. When rust became serious (the tailgate fell off, and the frame started to crack by the front upper control arms), I sold it for $100 to a sailor that needs the 302 for his older Ford F-150 on the condition that he junk the car and use the engine and transmission. He got a good deal (some auto meter gauges as well as that engine and trans) and I reckon I did pretty well on depreciation, about $30/year...it didn't have AC, or power steering, but it was a reliable car.

Astro14 hit all the nails on all of the heads.

Aside from my Porsche, Lex, Benz, and Navi, every other vehicle I own was purchased in mechanical distress.

No problem for me. I did the work, and pocketed the savings.

If one has the space, time, resources, etc., it's a great thing to do.

Otherwise, you end up crying and pulling your hair out.

Realistic expectations are a major part of it. Understand that things can get out of hand very quickly.

Some people, like myself, just get a real kick out of buying a vehicle that should get the death sentence, and then proudly drive it to mileage that makes the eyeballs pop.

There's something about a vehicle with more than 200k miles on it that just tickles me the right way.

Imo the best cheap car would be a lower end Japanese model,no electronics,no turbocharger,an engine with a chain instead of a belt,and the least amount of options possible. The simpler the better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back