Oil Additive for Reman Engine Break-in

Status
Not open for further replies.
Royal purple has a engine break in oil. Check out Summit racing, they have a ton of different oiks for engine break in

Originally Posted By: Ricktexas

Would Rislone 3X Concentrated Engine Oil Supplement with Zinc Treatment ( http://rislone.com/product/3x-concentrated-engine-oil-supplement-with-zinc-treatment/ ) used according to the labeling be a good choice for this application?

Thanks.

If you look at the tech sheet on your link you will see:

INSTRUCTIONS / DOSAGE
NOTE: Do not use as an engine break in additive.

The FAQ also shows this:

How is Rislone Engine Oil Supplement with Zinc Treatment different than break in additives?

Break in additives contain extremely high concentrations of ZDDP and are only designed to be left in the engine for a short period of time. Many of these additives don’t contain detergents or other lubricity additives important to keeping your engine clean and lubricated for thousands of miles. Rislone Engine Oil Supplement with Zinc Treatment not only contains the correct amount of ZDDP, but also the other additives important to protecting your engine. Do not use as a break in additive.

I would use the Red Line Break in additive if you really have to use one.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone! I'm an idiot for not having seen the "do not use" statement in the Rislone datasheet.

Oh well, there's always the fine print. You've been given several good options here, anyhow, to try. Ideally, I'd lean towards a break in oil first, then an additive, and then down to an ordinary oil, if I had to choose an order of preference. Sometimes, one just has to go with what's available, too. Additives and break in oils are great, but not if you can't get them.

Another one to add to the list, particularly if a GM dealership is one's only recourse (and it is for a lot of people), is their EOS additive.

Originally Posted By: Ricktexas
Thanks everyone! I'm an idiot for not having seen the "do not use" statement in the Rislone datasheet.

You are not an idiot, sometimes it better to have another set of eyes (or 100s on BITOG ) reading a document.

The Rislone stuff also contains friction modifiers which you don't need for run-in.

You want a low detergent, high ZDDP additive with no to few friction modifiers.

The Amsoil Break-in 30 grade would be preferable.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back