Hyundai Kia diesel oil specs

Status
Not open for further replies.
hi dear friends,
i am an owner of a kia ceed 2013 1.4 crdi D4FC is the code of the motor. i have always used 5w30 oil and made 10.000 mile oil changes. so far so good. i have 60.000 miles on the odometer. right now i am going off the dealer for an oil change and the guy who sells oils says that i should go for a 0w40 or 5w40 oil instead of 5w30 C3 spec oil because of PDF filter. the oil is OEM Kia 5w30 low saps and doesn't burn at all. but i abuse the car a lot in the highway and the climate here is a bit hot (summer about 40 degrees celsius and above), lots of idling and A/C unit on. in the car manual, KIA wants a C2 or C3 oil. viskosity index shows 0w30, 5w30, 10w30 and 15w40 oils can be used. i have no problem with the oil so far but i want better protection of the motor.
i see that Aral oil guide and liqui moly oil guide suggest among other 5w30 oils and 5w40 c3 specs.
also what oil do you suggest ? castrol edge turbo diesel? aral hightronic?? thank you in advance

You could go thicker but how do you know the 5w30 isnt providing sufficient protection? Do you guys have anywhere that tests oil samples there? Id do that first.

Oh and welcome!

Last edited:
i saw that i posted on the wrong section
grin.gif

i see that in the summer my car idles a bit "rough" and when i check the oil on the dipstick it becomes "watery"?!? plus, i don't like their specs (TBN, flash point etc)

i could send to blackstone labs but i decided asking here the gurus especially if someone else already did it before me

Shell ultra extra in 5w30 (dpf specd)...

In 5w40 you can have several brands wich are C3 also....repsol...aral....castrol...

Why do you want to overthink that...

If car runs rough...inspect and clean EGR valve...

And change your diesel fuel filter every 40.000kms....

South has "better" fuel
smile.gif
It can run rough due to cloged filter....or even cloged injectors...ouch
smile.gif

no you didn't understand..the filters are changed every 30.000 km..when i pour the new oil it works fine..after 3-4000 km slowly starts rough idling.after all is the OEM Hyundai oil (from ENEOS).the typical "crack-crack" diesels do. anyway do you think i should continue with 5w30? what is your viscosity chart on your ceed? thank you

Yep ultra extra is BMW LL-04...MB 229.51...

With my two diesels I have noticed the same phenomenom...when oil has near 15.000kms engine starts to be noisier...I just do OCI there...and engine is good till next "clack-clack" at around 15.000kms

I was googling for OEM KIA oil...and I dont think that it exists
smile.gif

Probably that dealer has just KIA something barell...with whatever oil in it...

Last edited:
i will show you
f3nmzG.jpg

563Zim.jpg

the oil is a cooperation between the Greek dealer and ENEOS...but what oil they put in..it says 5w30 low saps..anyway i will try shell

Shell Helix Ultra
Mobil1 5W30 ESP
Castrol 0/5W30 C3
Any of those oils. Look for oils to meet following specifications:
VW504.00/507.00
MB229.51
BMW LL-04
Porsche C30
ACEA C3

My choice is Mobil1 5W30 ESP dues to high HTHS, flash point and very low SAPS which will pollute DPF less.

Originally Posted By: Rolla07
You could go thicker but how do you know the 5w30 isnt providing sufficient protection? Do you guys have anywhere that tests oil samples there? Id do that first.

Oh and welcome!

Yeah. Not sure why going thicker is better. My 2000 Detroit Diesel 12.7L gets 10w30 HDEO and the samples are slightly better than with a 15w40. The 10w30 holds viscosity better, TBN reduction slower, and wear metals slightly lower across the spectrum compared to the previous 15w40. And no appreciable change in oil consumption, roughly 2-3 qts in 22,000 miles. To date, 541,000 miles on the factory reman of the motor and it didn't get 10w30 till after 400K miles on the reman.

Originally Posted By: TiredTrucker
Originally Posted By: Rolla07

Oh and welcome!

Yeah. Not sure why going thicker is better. My 2000 Detroit Diesel 12.7L gets 10w30 HDEO and the samples are slightly better than with a 15w40. The 10w30 holds viscosity better, TBN reduction slower, and wear metals slightly lower across the spectrum compared to the previous 15w40. And no appreciable change in oil consumption, roughly 2-3 qts in 22,000 miles. To date, 541,000 miles on the factory reman of the motor and it didn't get 10w30 till after 400K miles on the reman.

But your 10W30 HDEO has a minimum HTHS of 3.5, while an energy conserving 5w-30 is likely only 3.0. It's also not low or mid-saps, from a PCMO point of view.

From what I've seen from this family of engines (I deal with them daily) I'd definitely go to higher HTHS like a C3 oil.

Kia is a OEM partner of Total. Total offers a product called Quartz INEO MC3 5W-30. This product is a low SAPS, dual platform engine oil designed for long drain intervals. It carries ACEA C3 and should work with your diesel engine. Unless you are in extreme cold operating conditions, a zero weight may not provide much additional benefit except at cold crank.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back