What products to use ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all,

I've recently bought a car with a GDI engine and i'm a bit worried about carbon build up but also want to make sure i'm maintaining the car well. The car has 35k Miles on it.

I start using PUP based on all the other advice over here and the car seems to be running much better.
But I want to buy other products which help keep the car running well. But I don't know whats worth buying and whats a scam.

I saw the gummout Q&A but i'm not sure if thats effective.

PUP is a good choice and it appears your car likes it. I would follow the OEM maintenance schedule at the least. Don't beat on it, keep it clean and maintained. No need to buy special products.

To prevent or delay carbon buildup, ensure you are using a high quality synthetic oil that carries your manufacturer's recommendation and only use "top-tier" fuel.

Right now the the only solution once you have GDI carbon buildup is manual cleaning. I've never seen any chemical make an impact.

Originally Posted By: barkingspider
PUP is a good choice and it appears your car likes it. I would follow the OEM maintenance schedule at the least. Don't beat on it, keep it clean and maintained. No need to buy special products.

Yeah I was going to follow the maintenance schedule. The oil changes are meant to be at 9k miles but I am going to do it at 5k miles.

Do I have to use a product like Gumout or injector cleaner etc ?

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
To prevent or delay carbon buildup, ensure you are using a high quality synthetic oil that carries your manufacturer's recommendation and only use "top-tier" fuel.

Right now the the only solution once you have GDI carbon buildup is manual cleaning. I've never seen any chemical make an impact.

The manual said to use "87 or higher" but I don't know which to use.

Originally Posted By: jorton
Around here 89 runs poorly. The 89 gets stale because it's not popular. It sits in the ground at gas stations too long.

Around Southern California 89 does not exist. They get it by mixing 87 and 90/91 on the fly so the gas stations only have to have 2 storage tanks.

What sort of car are we talking about? And remember we use the RON system to grade our fuel - can't compare with the US system (MON?).

Originally Posted By: hpb
What sort of car are we talking about? And remember we use the RON system to grade our fuel - can't compare with the US system (MON?).

It's a Kia Optima.

I was more concerned with buying fuel injector cleaners etc. Wasn't sure whats worth buying and whats rubbish.

Is the Gumout stuff for GDI engines meant to be good ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back