Offset and spacers

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm looking to get a set of new Taurus/Explorer 18 x 8 steel wheels on my Grand Marquis. The bolt pattern (5 x 114.3 mm or 5 x 4.5") is the same, however, I'm not sure on the offset. Some sources say it's 44 mm, some say 35 mm. The offset for my application is -6 mm depending on the wheel, although a 0 mm offset can also be used without any trouble.

Assuming it is 44 mm, can I get away with a 1.5" spacer? Thanks!

Every time i have encountered a discussion on the use of spacers, the consensus is always that they cause more problems than they fix - that getting properly size wheels is the way to go.

Originally Posted By: HerrStig
Too much spacer will overload the wheel bearings by offsetting the load.

As long as the wheel is set at the normal offset, then the spacers don't change the load on the bearings.

I worry more about the quality of the spacers themselves, and how much a set would cost? More than the wheels? They aren't something I'd buy from ebay from China anyways.
It seems the off-road guys change the offset by 1" or more with spacers with heavier wheels and tires, so there must be good spacers around that handle 70-80lb wheels and tires.

Originally Posted By: Falcon_LS
I'm looking to get a set of new Taurus/Explorer 18 x 8 steel wheels on my Grand Marquis. The bolt pattern (5 x 114.3 mm or 5 x 4.5") is the same, however, I'm not sure on the offset. Some sources say it's 44 mm, some say 35 mm. The offset for my application is -6 mm depending on the wheel, although a 0 mm offset can also be used without any trouble.

Assuming it is 44 mm, can I get away with a 1.5" spacer? Thanks!

are the stock wheels 8" wide?

A good bolt-on spacer should be fine. I've had a set of 3/4" bolt on ones from Motorsport Tech on the Jeep for a while now, no issues with them. And it's not exactly babied either.

Spacers are just a plain bad idea in this case, especially for steel wheels. For what you will end up spending for good adaptors etc., you could easily buy some nice aluminum wheels that actually fit your car.

if you have an accident, and there is any evidence suggesting loss of control or mechanical failure due to the spacers, you are *****ed. I've read of cases where certain insurance companies have refused to cover vehicle owners after an accident due to spacers. I personally would not risk it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back